Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Visit ended in me agreeing to not go with 308......yet

Visit ended in me agreeing to not go with 308......yet

Can't say i'm over the moon, had the visit today, i positioned loads of rationalle but the officer basically explained he was really going to struggle with processing the application. I gave him the whole 'Beware the man with one gun' stuff and experience with .308 and intention to stalk in Scotland etc etc
    Basically advised me to go for .243, .22 and .17hmr then find land passed for 308 and do a variation on one of the rifles.Does this sound ok gents? As i say, not over the moon but if it gets me to where i need to be then all ok. Only snag is i wanted to spend the bucks on a .308 before my DSC1 in March which will need to be a decent bit of kit so I'll end up spending it on the .243 That said, i might end up happier with the 243?
    Thoughts and comments please gents and possible rifle recomendations,

Thanks in advance

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeH View Post
    I positioned loads of rationalle but the officer basically explained he was really going to struggle with processing the application.
    If you want a .308 phone him today, tell him you have been thinking about it and you want him to proceed with the .308 application (struggle my arse).... Use the DSC1 booking as justification for requirement. That's my advice and believe me, you will save yourself a whole load of hassle long term.
    Remember, the FEO is not your friend and there are no such thing as brownie points so no need to bend over for him.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Can't say i'm over the moon, had the visit today, i positioned loads of rationalle but the officer basically explained he was really going to struggle with processing the application. I gave him the whole 'Beware the man with one gun' stuff and experience with .308 and intention to stalk in Scotland etc etc
    Basically advised me to go for .243, .22 and .17hmr then find land passed for 308 and do a variation on one of the rifles.Does this sound ok gents? As i say, not over the moon but if it gets me to where i need to be then all ok. Only snag is i wanted to spend the bucks on a .308 before my DSC1 in March which will need to be a decent bit of kit so I'll end up spending it on the .243 That said, i might end up happier with the 243?
    Thoughts and comments please gents and possible rifle recomendations,

Then let him 'struggle' with it.

Why doesn't he have a problem with putting your application through with a .243 on it then? Perhaps he would explain the public safety issues that apply to the .308 over and above the .243.

It's your application not his, so ask for it to proceed with what you have applied for. Then you can get their reasons for refusal, (if any), in writing and take it from there.

Are you in BASC ( not an advert as still trying to bring myself round to rejoining! ) but always found firearms team helpful.

The other posters are quite right, but that doesnt take the stress out of the process. Having some back-up may be worth the joining fee.

If Reds are your intention, some estates can get huffy about 243. As others quote, a 243 is not intrinsically safer than a 308 - or anything else in similar group.

Out of touch, but BASC Arran scheme literature specifically steered shooters away from 243 because animals so large etc. If still running and you are booked on it then rock solid argument in your favour - especially as there are no estate rifles to borrow.

The officers suggestion is effectively forcing you to spend more money - thats a financial penalty and stumbles over lots of UK and EU legislation.

It also effectively constructs yet more work for the licensing department - who nationwide are looking for higher fees to cover their costs. As per several recent new stories, budgetary constraints are changing policies - this instance seems to fall right into that category and that issue may find resonance with the police.

All that said, its your application and you are the one under the spotlight.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Can't say i'm over the moon, had the visit today, i positioned loads of rationalle but the officer basically explained he was really going to struggle with processing the application.
    [snip]
    Basically advised me to go for .243, .22 and .17hmr then find land passed for 308 and do a variation on one of the rifles.Does this sound ok gents?
    No it does not sound OK. It is complete nonsense. Firstly, no one can say a given piece of land is safe or not. You can say a piece of land is unsuitable (e.g. my back garden). Secondly, if the land is suitable for a .243 then is it suitable for any of the mid-bore cartridges. If you were to ask him to demonstrate that a .243 is safe and a .308 (or anything else) isn't, he won't be able to because no one can do the impossible. If they are happy to grant you a certificate for a .243 then there is no rationale basis to refuse you a .308. What you are encountering is dogma, nothing more, nothing less.

Are you a member of BASC (if not, you should be). Speak to the firearms team and ask them to speak with the firearms licensing manager. If they can't get the police to see sense, tell the police to proceed with your application as it stands.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I had the same problem,i will not go into the details as it was a nightmare but a quick call the BASC (i am a member) and im not advertising either. and they helped me out with some great advice.

this was for a .243 never mind a .308.

the other thing is this is why you pay the fee's its HIS JOB to do the work, and in my eyes and few thousand more you are entitled to ask for what you want, its there job to do the paper work and if there is a problem then they have to give you the same as they ask of us, a GOOD reason as to why you can not have it, and the one he has given is all wrong.

best of luck and step forward and stand proud, there are only eggshells there if you let them break the egg in the first place.

regards

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

dont take that. if you want 308 and got good reason and ground for it. i cant see how they can stop you

of course he's going to struggle with it, the bullet is 0.065" bigger in diameter...ooohhh the danger it poses

I'll bell him first thing tomorrow, don't want to come across as a pain but i'd rather have one Rifle than two. His position was 'Process it as .243 + 2 calibres then as soon as you have .308 passed land get a variation' I'm not sure how easy that would be though?

Joe

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    I'll bell him first thing tomorrow, don't want to come across as a pain but i'd rather have one Rifle than two. His position was 'Process it as .243 + 2 calibres then as soon as you have .308 passed land get a variation' I'm not sure how easy that would be though?

Joe
    Joe

i hope you get it mate, but think on it this way,

ground cleared for CF is just that. cleared for CF, he than has to make sure that if its clear for 243 then the 308 should be fine as mentioned above there is not a lot of difference between them, in fact you could say to him that the 308 is slower than the 243

best of luck mate.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube