Thread: Having a rifle re-barrelled.

Having a rifle re-barrelled.

Hi,
    What is the procedure with regards to a fac variation to have a rifle re-barrelled to a different calibre, i.e. do you have to keep the original barrel/calibre on your ticket even though it isn't attached to the rifle etc. Any advice would be really appreciated....

atb blue.

Blue

I am re-barrelling from 243 Win to 6XC soon. I went in to licencing the other day and explained what I wanted to do. The FLO understands what I want to do and I expect to get my FC back shortly. I won't be keeping the old barrel. Talk to your folk and they will put the appropriate variation onto your ticket.

Good luck. JCS

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    my old barrel was kept for disposal by my Gunsmith, he sent in a form 12, job done.

Wiltshire have a truly great team at head office and they are Cal specific, IE: i wanted a 20 cal they stated you have choose the one your going for 204 20 tac 20 br etc before we can put it on your ticket.

Once i chose the cal it was on my ticket and sent back in just over 3 days.
    as JCS mentioned, talk to them and make sure they are happy, drop the rifle off ready for the work to be done, when the ticket is back a quick call the the builder of the new rifle, i have the slot you can start work,

job done,

PS: nothing quite like calling him and saying can you put the barrel back on as they have not given me the slot ??

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

i would drop the rifle off at the gunsmith you want to do the work. get him to take it off your ticket. and ask him how long the re barrel work will be.

then write in to inform your firearms dept that you no longer have the said calibre.... and let them know and then tell them you want what ever calibre your going to have it rebarreled in.

then when your ticket comes back and the rifle has been done go and pick it up. dont forget if you have a mod. make sure you can use it on your new calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    i would drop the rifle off at the gunsmith you want to do the work. get him to take it off your ticket. and ask him how long the re barrel work will be.

then write in to inform your firearms dept that you no longer have the said calibre.... and let them know and then tell them you want what ever calibre your going to have it rebarreled in.

then when your ticket comes back and the rifle has been done go and pick it up. dont forget if you have a mod. make sure you can use it on your new calibre.
    only problem is, what if you take it off, then get the new one declined

i cant see that being a problem as long as you have good reason and the land you want to use the new calibre on is passed. [ if the calibre he is getting is bigger then the one he had took off ticket]
    Last edited by jay 22; 19-01-2012 at 22:00.

Thanks everyone for all your advice, the calibre will be smaller 308 to a 260, hopefully everthing will go well .

atb Blue.

Having the rifle re-entered with the same serial number will probably throw a spanner into the new police computer system..... when I re-barrelled my BSA Monarch from 270 Win to .280 AI I explained what was going to happen and they put a open slot on for the .280 and issued a temp permit for the .270 Simples we thought. When it came to enter the newly proofed .280 the problems began it seems as the system didn't like it one bit.

That is what I was told anyway.