Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hare in my food

Hare in my food

Hi, I have a couple of hares in the freezer now as I shot them with my 1960 vintage Anschutz .22lr the other day.
    I've cooked hare in redwine in the past, as a braised dish.
    Does anyone have any lovely recipes that that they would like to share today ?

Kind regards, Olaf

Iv tried all different ways but it's all turned out like old boot leather. The only nice one iv had is one the mother in law cooked for me and that was done like youve already mentioned. Cooked in red wine on a low heat for about 3 months.
    Make sure you post it on here if you manage to fine a new recipe.
    Cheers. Matt.

all i do with mine is put in the slow cooker with a bottle of red two bay leaves 4 peppercorns whole aload of veg some garlic ,salt pepper and slowley cook all day even the wife likes it like this and says its like lamb ,very tender atb wayne.ps just top up with water so covered

If you've got a young animal the saddle makes a lovely roasting joint.

Cook it very hot and fast to avoid tough dry meat.

The best way to enjoy hare and rabbit is stifado.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyxologos View Post
    The best way to enjoy hare and rabbit is stifado.
    I'm sure there's a smutty joke in that statement somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Adamant View Post
    I'm sure there's a smutty joke in that statement somewhere...
    No, not at all! Have you tried it?

Take the meat off the bone and cube it, do the same with some venison. Mix this with about a third of a packet of apple and herb stuffing and an egg. (Total should be enough to fill a loaf tin) Chuck in a few herbs, salt and pepper. Line the loaf tin with foil then line with smoked bacon. Fill this with the mixture and fold the bacon over the top. Wrap the lot up in the foil.
    Bake in the middle of the oven on gas mk 4 for 3 hours. You can serve it with veg and spuds or in a fresh roll.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Take the meat off the bone and cube it, do the same with some venison. Mix this with about a third of a packet of apple and herb stuffing and an egg. (Total should be enough to fill a loaf tin) Chuck in a few herbs, salt and pepper. Line the loaf tin with foil then line with smoked bacon. Fill this with the mixture and fold the bacon over the top. Wrap the lot up in the foil.
    Bake in the middle of the oven on gas mk 4 for 3 hours. You can serve it with veg and spuds or in a fresh roll.
    Yum Yum !