Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i am thinking about changing 270 for a 280 rem any thoughts

i am thinking about changing 270 for a 280 rem any thoughts

I have been offered a next to new 280 Remington model 700 it is the synthetic stock Titanium model, 30mm mounts with a Burris signature variable scope with duplex reticule what size I don't know yet, sling and swivels, zeroed and 300 rounds of 140grain ammunition all in for 1200. does any one have an experience with the calibre and the model? the main idea in taking this rifle is to repalace a old 270w that i have.

charlie

This sound like a good deal, but it's a tricky decision as it's an obsolete calibre. As it's already zeroed it isn't new.

If it's a Remington Alaskan TI it's also a discontinued model.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...laskan-ti.aspx

If it's a Burris Signature 'scope it's also a discontinued product.

If the ammo in this bargain is 140 grain then the ammunition is almost certainly Remington. It may be the expensive Premier Accutip, but is more likely to be the standard Corelokt PSP which may not be so accurate. In that case there isn't such a saving here, but a ready supply of cases if you reload.

There's nothing wrong with the calibre. If your .270 needs replacing this is a good package if you plan to keep it for a long time, and you have faith in Remington products.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie 1 View Post
    I have been offered a next to new 280 Remington model 700 it is the synthetic stock Titanium model, 30mm mounts with a Burris signature variable scope with duplex reticule what size I don't know yet, sling and swivels, zeroed and 300 rounds of 140grain ammunition all in for 1200. does any one have an experience with the calibre and the model? the main idea in taking this rifle is to repalace a old 270w that i have.

charlie
    Charlie,
    The rifle may be discontinued but is still available new, the Burris signature series scopes are still available and has only last year (2011)been upgraded, so not discontinued.
    Ammo although is not going to be as easy found as your 270 but is is still available if you know where to look.
    The 140gn are not restricted to Remington, there is Federal/Winchester and Hornady all do the 140gn all readily available.
    If you reload then cases are not going to be an issue,neck up or neck down 270/30-06, or just buy them from Tim Hannan.
    All in all a better prospect ballistically than the 270.
    My only reservation would be the weight, if it titanium then its going to be light,recoil might be an issue if un-modded.

regards
    Now

Just had a rem .280 built and I am very pleased, you can push larger bullets than the .270, recoil seems fine, 150 grain bullets all grouped well with the 3 powders I tried, bought nosler brass, think its one to reload for though

280 Remington - rumours of its demise are exagerated :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    This sound like a good deal, but it's a tricky decision as it's an obsolete calibre.
    Obsolete in what sense? Availability of loaded ammo?
    Winchester are producing .280 Rem ammo with 140gr Silvertip bullet, product number SBST280.
    Remington are producing .280 Rem ammo with 165gr Core-Lokt bullets, product number R280R2
    Hornady are producing .280 Rem ammo with 139gr GMX and SST bullets, product numbers not apparent
    RUAG are producing .280 Rem ammo with 162gr bullets
    No doubt there are others, but the point is well made.

Obsolete in terms of avaiability of components for reloading? 7mm bullets are easily located. Brass is also available, or can be formed simply by resizing either .270 or .30-06 cases.

It's not an obsolete cartridge, far from it.

Perhaps you meant obsolete in terms of availability of rifles chambered for the 280 Rem?
    Remington are advertising the 700 "Mountain LSS" in .280 Rem (product code 84270). OK, it isn't the most common cartridge but it's not dead yet.

-JMS

Thanks, JMS.

I don't think Charlie has an ammo problem as there's a plentiful supply with the rifle. As for further supplies........Brithunter on here had real problems obtaining any in the UK despite availability in the US, so it sounds like a good candidate for reloading.

No problem with supplies for that as I run a 7mm. Cases can't be formed simply from .270 or .30-06.... but .280 are available anyway.

I used the term obsolete in the literal sense. Defined in the OED as disused, discarded, antiquated .... I think as far as the shooting fraternity are concerned the first two apply. It's a good cartridge in a workable package at a reasonable price, but will be difficult to shift if the user doesn't get on with it.

So far no-one using a similar rig has appeared, but it's early days. I rather think this was the sort of guidance Charlie was after, but talking about other aspects of the topic might be of help.

ATB.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

seems very close to the 270
    would you notice the difference?

I am not to worried about getting brass as I will have 300 factory loaded and the brass to work with after that, I have also seen it on midway uk and some other sites,,But in the future I could possibly see a problem getting ready formed brass. the bullets them selves I believe are the same as the 7mm which are plentiful. , I did notice on some of the US reloading sites that a lot of guys over there love it as a choice calibre for reloading.
    I am in no hurry to part with the .270 win I have, it is still shooting and grouping fine all be it a bit beaten up, I was offered the .280 rem in passing conversation, it seamed like a good deal i can understand it being hard to sell on hence the posting and was wondering if the calibre would be a step up or not? I do like the .270 and the facts that I can walk in to most gun dealers and they have what ammunition I need hassle free, is a reassuring fact. I might be just as well to go one for one and stick with .270 as I have already got brass bullets and dies.

my main question is what would be the benifets in going from .270 to .280rem and would it really be worth it?

Thanks for you input so far, I would really like to hear from some more who have or had one to hear what they think.

charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Thanks, JMS.

I don't think Charlie has an ammo problem as there's a plentiful supply with the rifle. As for further supplies........Brithunter on here had real problems obtaining any in the UK despite availability in the US, so it sounds like a good candidate for reloading.

No problem with supplies for that as I run a 7mm. Cases can't be formed simply from .270 or .30-06.... but .280 are available anyway.

I used the term obsolete in the literal sense. Defined in the OED as disused, discarded, antiquated .... I think as far as the shooting fraternity are concerned the first two apply. It's a good cartridge in a workable package at a reasonable price, but will be difficult to shift if the user doesn't get on with it.

So far no-one using a similar rig has appeared, but it's early days. I rather think this was the sort of guidance Charlie was after, but talking about other aspects of the topic might be of help.

ATB.
    Cases can't be formed simply,can you explain?

Depends on where you are in teh UK as to if your local dealer stocks factory ammo and IF .................................................. .............. IF the importers have brought any in. When I needed soem factory .280 Rem to use for final testing on my chambering job and to test fire to supply the required three formed cases for the proof house. Mine is a .280 AI chamber I had an awful time getting some. Eventually Edgar Bros sent some Remington Express 175 grain ammo to the dealer. The cases were tarnished and the box a bit battered so checking on Remington's web site discovered it was no longer made and despite beign charged a fabricated new list price the box turned out to be over 12 years old.

Edgars were not very helpful and seem to think one should be grateful for being ripped off for old stock ammunition even though Remington suggest that ammunition over 10 years old not be used. They eventually rather grudgingly swapped the box for a newer one this one being only 7 years old.

Other parts of the country seem better served with 280 supplies.

If one looks logically the .280 is a better cartridge than the .270 as it offers a wider selection of bullet weights. 115 Grain-180 grain and despite operating at a lower chamber pressure give up nowt in velocity. In fact just checking the Hornady manual gives the same velocity with 140 grain bullets in either cartridge the .280 however can propel a 175 grain bullet at 2700 fps the .270 Winchester can propel a 150 grain bullet at 2800-2900. Hornady lists two powders that reached 2900 the .280 however had four powders listed giving that 2700 fps.. Far from disliking the 270 Winchester I in fact own for rifles so chambered. If th Importers had fed the supply chain with more options in 280 ammunition then it might well have become more common here in the UK.