Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which factory ammo for 243?

which factory ammo for 243?

hi lads hope someone can help. what factory ammo would you advise on for roe/munty through a 243? the rifle is a tikka t3 hunter. a couple of friends have advised hornady 95gr sst?? has anyone found any others to be better. i understand each rifle can be different but would just like pointing in the right direction.
    many thanks ben.

Quote Originally Posted by r judd View Post
    hi lads hope someone can help. what factory ammo would you advise on for roe/munty through a 243? the rifle is a tikka t3 hunter. a couple of friends have advised hornady 95gr sst?? has anyone found any others to be better. i understand each rifle can be different but would just like pointing in the right direction.
    many thanks ben.
    I find that the federal 95grn Btips work fine through my Blaser R8 .243, I haven't tried the Hornady but I think that the 95grn bullet weight is probably optimum for .243 with a 1:10 twist rate. I also do some reloads again 90-95grn work best . My rifle doesn't like the Sako 100grn. Hope this helps. atb Tim

you said 'factory ammo' - depending on budget go for either 100g norma SP's or Federal Powershock SP's in 100g. If they shoot, you can also use them for reds and sika. for roe, the federal 85g BTHP (loaded with scierra gameking bullets) are excellent too. some like sako ammo or PPU, but some hate the stuff apparently- in my book the norma is the ultimate factory fodder instills trust, belief and confidence in my shooting and game-taking abilities when I am not reloading, but it's around 30 - 35 per box. worth it if you don't practice or shoot much but just need it for the odd weekend stalk.

Wise words from both the above.

If your only shooting Roe and Munty's you may as well stay under 100gr, as Timbrayford said 1:10 tend to like bullets little lighter.Just make sure they are hunting tips and not varmint.
    My T3 likes Sako 90gr so does my wallet, if you wona spend a little more Federal Premium 95gr Btips are the V good.

Loads of choice out there, buy a few and have play.

Trucraft.

Quote Originally Posted by trucraft View Post
    Wise words from both the above.

If your only shooting Roe and Munty's you may as well stay under 100gr, as Timbrayford said 1:10 tend to like bullets little lighter.Just make sure they are hunting tips and not varmint.
    My T3 likes Sako 90gr so does my wallet, if you wona spend a little more Federal Premium 95gr Btips are the V good.

Loads of choice out there, buy a few and have play.

Trucraft.
    Good point about the btips, the Federal ones are called "vital shok" and carry a deer motif on them which indicates that they are suitable for medium game. The varmint ones are usually in a much lighter bullet weight and have a rodent motif. These would kill your Muntjac but badly mess up your carcase and aren't suitable. atb Tim

My T3 loves 80 grn Federal Power Shock, with clover leaf groups at 100 yds achieved, however I wanted to go for a 100 grn for the larger deer and it took some time and not a few rounds to find one that suited. I have now found that Remington Core Lokt soft points in 100 grn are spot on with sub 1"groups achievable no problem. It took a while to find the right round but it`s worth it now. Strange how with the lighter rounds they can be spot on, but with the heavier rounds ( even from the same manufacturer) they can be as fussy as hell.

ive been using hornady 100 grain btsp, they group excellent at under an inch, federal brass, cci 200 primers and 38.1 grains of n140, not crimped on the 243 they easy to load and shoot and my T 3 varmint loves them

Quote Originally Posted by Deanandrew64 View Post
    ive been using hornady 100 grain btsp, they group excellent at under an inch, federal brass, cci 200 primers and 38.1 grains of n140, not crimped on the 243 they easy to load and shoot and my T 3 varmint loves them
    Has anyone got or know where I can get loading data for using N140 in .243, particularly with bullet weights of 90,95 & 100grn? atb Tim

Straight from the VV site. up to date Nseries load data for most bullet weights, no 95gn data though
    http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/5/50

my 243 was very fussy with 100gn factory ammo from Sako, PPU and Federal.
    shoots excellently with Hornady/Lapua/N160 reloads in 100gn.

I use Hornady 95gr SST through my Howa 1500 in .243, very impressed with them and can cloverleaf at 100yds.