Thread: if I was to

if I was to

I am thinking of applying for a varmint calibre to go between the .22lr and the .243. If I was to re-barrel the sako .243 to 6.5 hornady creedmore at some point in the next year or two, what would the best varmint calibre be to get now?

I am thinking either .220 swift, .223 or 22-250 - point being that I'd also like it to have the ability to take roe, but to be predominantly used for fox between 100 and 300yds as well as for crows and rooks between 150 and 350 yds. So a 50g or so round would make sense, but which of these would suit the bill best and why?

any takers?

all do the job well. 223 as you no cheaper to run will do all the jobs well and a massive amount of factory ammo if needed.

22/250 is my choice 50 grainer at 3800 fps + superb accuracy makes it a cracking foxing rifle and hits really hard to. good choice of different brass and factory ammo if needed.
    [ downside is most are 1 in 14 twist so more then likely wont shoot anything heavier then a 55 grain bullet. my old 1 in 14 twist 22/250 didn't even like the 55's

so a 12 twist would be better in 22/250 but its finding them. my rpa is 12 twist so will let me shoot upto 63 grain bullets. which is ideal if you want abit more thump on the roe in scotland of course.

220 swift more thump then 22/250 but less choice of factory ammo and not a lot of choice for good brass. where lapua make brass for 223 and 22/250
    again i think most of these are 14 twist also.

Why not carry on with the .243 only load some 58gr SSt's for it? Up to 3700fps through a 1:10 and very destructive on the species/distances mentioned. Just head/neck shot any roe
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Why not carry on with the .243 only load some 58gr SSt's for it? Up to 3700fps through a 1:10 and very destructive on the species/distances mentioned. Just head/neck shot any roe
    Exactly!

There is too much thought goes into what cartridge would be best for this or that discipline and so on.

You have to way up what you are doing the majority of the time.

If its mainly roe then stick with the 243. Load up 55grn for foxes on the odd occasion you go for them. Tbh the 243 covers just about everything you mention. 55grn for foxes or crows, and a suitable 100grn for roe or occasional red.

If its mainly roe you stalk, try the 85grn Sierra HP Boat Tail. Kills foxes and roe without too much damage. It will out perform a centrefire .22 in wind and the difference in performance between it and the calibres you mention is not worth giving a second thought to.

thanks guys, you see, I secretly want a varmint rifle that I can build up for a bit of long range fun as well, synthetic stock, moderator, etc. etc. I couldn't bear to stick a mod on the sako 75 hunter (wood) .243 that I use for fox/roe at the moment.

At present I reload 87g H'dy HPBT's behind 35.5g varget, which clover leaf or better if I use sandbags. Maybe just stick with that combo...

Have a little look on the Savage site and on Youtube there are reviews on the Savage varmint rifles . Tidy looking rifles with the faster twist barrels .

Cheers

a 22-250 would be the easiest choice. Proven round in loads of rifles, will do fox's as far as you can shoot and sure it would be fine for roe at 150yds+ . i'd be looking at a CZ 527 Laminate or Sako 85 varmint. I dont reload but if you did the .220 swift would be fun, or a .22ppc would be different