Thread: Quad bike Stator Insulation repair

Quad bike Stator Insulation repair

Bit of a strange question for this forum but does any one happen to know if Arilldite Rapid will be OK to repair the insulation on the Stator coils for a quad bike? I can't get hold of any electrical grade expoxy resins fo guessing Arildite Rapid.

Cheers,

Ali

I'm not sure about it's electricial insulation properties of it, but it does tend to be brittle.

It should be fine, but bear in mind that you won't be able to do much with it in the future if you put too much on! I've successfully used it in the past inside crankcases to blank off oilways in modified engines, so the heat won't be a problem.

Years ago I was involved in the manufacture of electro magnets for extracting ferrous metal fragments from eyeballs
    The insulation covering the windings was a special type of slow curing araldite.
    The slow stuff always sticks better than the rapid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodmedod.one View Post
    Years ago I was involved in the manufacture of electro magnets for extracting ferrous metal fragments from eyeballsThe insulation covering the windings was a special type of slow curing araldite.The slow stuff always sticks better than the rapid.
    Do you mean the araldite precision?I see no problem using it as long as it will insulate, abd a see little reason that it shouldn't be fine on that score.

Thanks for all the replies. I've used the arildite now and the crank case is all back together. The results from the multimeter look promising but I'll have to wait till after tea before I'll know if I've sorted the problem!

You'd need to know the dielectric strength of Araldite for a definitive answer, but it also depends on where the insulation is missing off the coils as they use enamelled wire to make them, you need to be careful or all you wind up doing is sticking a heap of insulation over the short (if conductors are touching).

Hi Procee,

Think your getting a bit to technical for me! The bike is all back together now and working grand. The question now is how long will the arilidte hold for?!?

I'm going to order up some high temp oil resistant electrical grade Exopy and if I find a little spare time I'll strip the crank down and replace the insulation again. It'll be fun...

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    The question now is how long will the araldite hold for?!?
    If you put it on correctly - that is, on a nice clean surface without any oil/grease contamination, it should stay on for years.

yep should stay on a long time i was racing in the i.om.tt and a stone went through my radiator i put some araldite on the hole and fixed it mint , also the stators on gp 125's used to come loose it was 130 quid to send off for repair but again araldite cured the problem ,atb wayne