Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory loads for .270 and 7mm08

Factory loads for .270 and 7mm08

Hello everyone.

Iím just starting out on my stalking career, and I donít know where to go for lists of available factory loads. For shotgun cartridges, a website like justcartridges.co.uk provides me with a list of just about every commercially available shotgun cartridge in the UK, together with details of their loads, ballistics, etc. Where can I go for something similar for rifle ammunition?

Iím playing Fantasy League Rifle Purchase at the moment, but I also need to research this stuff as I will at some point this year be applying for an FAC. Iíd like to go for a .270 as most of my stalking is likely to be for roe and muntjack, but Iím also likely to go boar shooting with my brother in law in France on occasion. The .243 is inadequate for this, and any current or ex-military calibre is illegal for hunting in France, so no .30-06, 6.5x55 Swedish etc. As I understand it, the .270 is available in so many loads that I should be able to use quite light ones for most of my stalking here, and upgrade when/if I shoot boar. Itís been suggested to me that the 7mm08 would suit my needs too, but there isnít the variety of factory ammunition.

Can anyone help (Iím sure you can)?

I use Norma ammunition through my 270 and 243, They have a good website with all their range of ammo which is quite useful
    Crumpy

Some will argue that 270 is too big for roe and munty. personally think it works fine on roe 130gn norma SP
    same round works perfectly well on reds of all sizes but may be light on boar. not shot boar so cant comment on that.
    there is a fantastic video of a german aristocrat slotting running boar left right and centre with a blaser in 270....presumably works just fine also.

you can buy 90-160gn bullets but imagine you will struggle to find factory loads outside of 130-150gn in most gunshops.

remi8ngton coreloct are quite good in 130 and 150 grain in 270 atb wayne

I have found that many .270s can be very fussy about factory ammunition - I really struggled to find a respectably accurate load (by which I mean sub-1" at 100 yards). Remington Corelokt in 130gn and Sako Hammerheads in 156gn were the only ones that worked for me but those would cover almost any base.

I hate to say this and I'll have to wash my hands after typing this but if you aren't going to reload...consider buying a Tikka T3 in .270. Every one I have seen in action has shot any factory ammo' into ragged one hole groups - even dirty horrible PPU stuff.

I hate to say this and I'll have to wash my hands after typing this but if you aren't going to reload...consider buying a Tikka T3 in .270. Every one I have seen in action has shot any factory ammo' into ragged one hole groups - even dirty horrible PPU stuff.
    +1 on this, mines more accurate than my Sako!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Hello everyone.
    Iíd like to go for a .270 as most of my stalking is likely to be for roe and muntjack, but Iím also likely to go boar shooting with my brother in law in France on occasion. The .243 is inadequate for this, and any current or ex-military calibre is illegal for hunting in France, so no .30-06, 6.5x55 Swedish etc. As I understand it, the .270 is available in so many loads that I should be able to use quite light ones for most of my stalking here, and upgrade when/if I shoot boar. Itís been suggested to me that the 7mm08 would suit my needs too, but there isnít the variety of factory ammunition.
    The .270 is fairly high velocity for woodland stalking. It was developed to produce a flatter trajectory over longer distances (than say the 30-06 from which it is derived). The 7-08 has lower velocity and is therefore more suited to woodland stalking. High velocity on impact can result in extensive carcass damage. There is a body of research which indicates impact velocities above 2000-2200fps results in increased damage. Another factor in favour of the 7-08 as far as you are concerned is that it can fire heavier bullets than the .270. The .270 can fire a 150gr bullet, the 7-08 can fire a 175gr bullet, the latter being more suited for the boar. Alternatively, you might consider the 7x64 which has similar performance to the .270 but is a true 7mm (and not a military cartridge) or the .280 Remington which is also derived from the 30-06 and also a true 7mm. Ammunition for the 280 is currently produced by Remington, Winchester, RWS, Norma ... so should be obtainable in the UK.

Last point, which ever cartridge you end up with, there is a strong argument for sticking with one type of ammunition and getting to know your setup.

Good luck.

-JMS

Thanks everyone.

I looked at the Norma website which is very useful. Also it seems that Norma produces "range-friendly" versions of their hunting loads with non-expanding bullets which is a bonus. I had worried that the .270 might cause quite a bit of meat damage, especially on a muntjack. Looks like the 7mm08 or the 7x64 might be more the business. In my imaginary shopping, I've sort of settled on either the Steyr-Mannlicher Classic Full Stock or the CZ equivalent, the 550 FS. The former is available in just about any calibre you like, whereas the latter doesn't come in 7mm08, although it is chambered for the 7x64. Is the 7x64 significantly different from the .270?

Admittedly my choice of rifles is as much on aesthetic grounds as anything else, but there's not much point in forking out a load of money on something you don't really like. I'd happily go with the SM, but it does cost about a grand more than the CZ, and I'm not sure if for recreational stalking and low-intensity use there's enough difference in quality to warrant the price differential.

I found that the Federal Fusion 150 Grain ammunition shot well in several rifles I tried it through and it performed well on the Roe Buck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Thanks everyone.
    Is the 7x64 significantly different from the .270?
    They are equivalent to one another. The 7x64 is a true 7mm (and so can use heavier bullets) whereas the .270 isn't a 7mm. The 7-08 delivers lower velocities thanthe other two, and is more suited to woodland stalking. The 7-08 comes in 'medium' length actions whereas the other two require 'long' actions. If you want a 7-08, take a look at other manufacturers than Steyr and CZ, it's a buyer's market.

-JMS