Thread: 6.5x55 v 6.5x57

6.5x55 v 6.5x57

Hello all, just on a point of information please. Is there any appreciable difference between the above calibres ? Which, in your opinion, would be the better choice? It would be used for stalking and foxing.

For all practical purposes they are identical, especially if the x55 is handloaded, the x57 may in theory offer a small advantage if comparing factory ammo.

In reality the x55 is very common and popular in the UK and the x57 is practically unknown. Go with the x55 and handload if you don't already do this.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

HI hunterjohnb just think of the resale value. has in performance wise the 6.5x57 is marginly better atb derek

Is the x 57 useable in France? Might be a point.

David.

According to the Sierra manual, the 6.5x57 has never had a military application.... so it is....?
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I thought it was only curreny military calibers that couldn't be used in France?

It is not forbidden to hunt with the x57 in France. The 6,5 family is great for deer. I'd go for the x57, check ammo availability in your store. Very mild recoil, you can use a light rifle. Nice single fire rifles chambered in x57R. In Spain, opposite to UK, the x57 is more used than x55 If boar is to be included in the list, I'd go for the x55.

HunterJohnB,

extraordinary! I thought I was the only one living in Valhalla! did you see how trashed Thor got the other day, what a night ay

Anyhow, I'm by no means an expert but I understand the x47 has a small primer which 'can' create ignition problems with some actions, particularly in the cold - I may stand to be corrected. (I think it's called a 'cratering issue' or similar). If you're building a rifle based on a factory action, it may be worth looking into, others will know more and will be able to extrapolate on my basic knowledge.

ps. is the x55 not a long action and the x47 short? may impact on what you can do based on it being a factory action you have in stock for a re-build/semi-custom, or you're having something build/buying from new.
    Last edited by PKL; 25-01-2012 at 10:05.

I have recently aquired a Heym 6.5x57 and p/xed my trusty 6.5x55 Tikka T3. So far so good extreemly pleased with it.
    To be honest not a great deal of difference in the perfomance but its more a case of 'Dare to be Different'. I reload, though I understand RWS factory loads can be obtained no problem as with S&B cases for reloading.
    It is not a military round and never has been so no problem in France etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    ps. is the x55 not a long action and the x47 short? may impact on what you can do based on it being a factory action you have in stock for a re-build/semi-custom, or you're having something build/buying from new.
    It's the 6.5x57 that's the subject of the comparison.

A couple of other things to maybe factor in might be the fact that the 57 is available as the 57R used in a variety of single and double break action rifles and has been very popular in Europe. If you have a penchant for such rifles, (get in the queue!), you might be lucky and find something quite special here in the UK that has been a Cabinet Queen for some doting owner who has passed on. Being the land of the bolt gun, they might not attact the same interest as other rifles so deals are to be had. Also available in new rifles such as the Blaser K95 - didn't Wayne get one recently?