Thread: just the call you want

just the call you want

i shoot rabbits on a local golf course which to be honest is more hassle than it is worth but i find it is a great place to get a young dog retrieving game. the greenkeeper called me the other evening saying that he had problems with a fox destroying bunkers in a section of the course. i had an hour to spare while my son was at football training beside the course so i headed off with the .17 to take care of the fox. A few calls ( good old hand version) and a set of eyes appeared about 100m away, sticks deployed and a few more calls and the fox came into about 40m. head shot took care of a vixen and will keep the gamekeeper happy.

I find the foxes do as much damage on a golf course as the rabbits, they love to dig in the sand within the bunkers and often leave a nasty parcel in the sand.

keith

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    nice one keith

I look after 5 course here in Hampshire and wiltshire (near Stonehenge) and you are correct, this year i have a total of 45 charlies all taken on the golf courses,

RE: the damage. my newest course green keeper was sure it was billys (badgers) but when i got the second one in action so to speak i took some pictures where he fell, and to say he was chuffed was a understatement.

good shooting and lets hope it leads to more phone calls of the correct type, i have family all around NI cookstown Derry and omagh (fintona) and i know shooting there is hard to come bye.

more power to your elbow.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

hi bob

what arrangement do you have with the keeper and manager for access to the course. i say that shooting the courses is a hassle because i agreed not to shoot while the course was in use for obvious reasons. i find the summer months offer the best results because during daylight the rabbits seem to tolerate people and pay little attention to humans but at night they go back to being very nervous and the first sign of a lamp and they are off. i often arrive at the course for first light 0430- 0500 during the summer only to find golfers already out resulting in a waste of the day for me. this course isnt split into front 9 and back nine holes so i cant shoot the back nine if golfers start early on the front nine. but rabbits can be scarce over here in some parts so they do come in useful at this time of year for bait before the lambing kicks off.

I've contacted numerous golf courses over the years, always been given the bums rush. Going to be moving (again) in the next 6 months and will be back to chasing ground again. I'll keep trying the golf courses, good to know that Cahrlie is a problem too, I thought it was mainly thumper.

greenkeepers

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie_3 View Post
    I've contacted numerous golf courses over the years, always been given the bums rush. Going to be moving (again) in the next 6 months and will be back to chasing ground again. I'll keep trying the golf courses, good to know that Cahrlie is a problem too, I thought it was mainly thumper.
    i have shot two courses over the years and permission came through friends that are greenkeepers or managers at the courses. one owner even loaned us one of the tractors as the rabbits simply ignored the tractor. possibly try to find out who the keepers are and approach them away from the courses if possible

keith

i shoot the rabitts on one 9 hole course but go round on a quad at night i try to stay on the roughand pick of the rabbits when they are on the greens that way you dont do any damage to the grass playing surface
    Give instruction to a wise man and he will be yet wiser

I've been asked in the past to remove both Rabbits and Foxes from local Golf courses but i have always been very weary of the legal issues despite having an open ticket.