Thread: Urban Fox

Urban Fox

Hi All,
    No I am not begging for Antler, Tusk or Horns this time! (unless you have a few spare!)
    I have recently moved and have a large back Garden, and am thinking of keeping a few Chickens. The problem is, Foxes! I can smell where they have been and my Springer and next doors two Labs go mad at night sometimes. When I used to drive Taxis late at night, I noticed lots of Foxes going right into the Towns, I suppose on the Isle of Wight, no where is far from the Countryside!
    Anyway, as its fairly built up here, would I still be allowed to get it/them shot? especially if they were 'worrying' my birds?
    not sure on the Legality of it to be honest!
    take care all, good Hunting,
    warm regards
    Tank

the kid keeps free range hens in a paddock next to the yard , the chicken shed has two pop holes behind one i have a treadle operated fox cage fixed to the hen house floor , in the morning you let the hens out one door and shut the other , at night shut the hens up and open the trap door . You need a bit of ply on top of the trap or it fills with chicken crap , youll be suprised what you catch in your hen house

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    the kid keeps free range hens in a paddock next to the yard , the chicken shed has two pop holes behind one i have a treadle operated fox cage fixed to the hen house floor , in the morning you let the hens out one door and shut the other , at night shut the hens up and open the trap door . You need a bit of ply on top of the trap or it fills with chicken crap , youll be suprised what you catch in your hen house
    great idea trouble. i bet you get a fair amount this way

its out of sight people is what i like , you be suprised what goes in and youd be suprised how the chickens get used to it

Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    included are the locals cats !

We keep chickens in our back garden have done for years. A foxes use the garden probably every night. They have never touched our chickens even though the pen is very insecure, I could trap them but feel no desperate need. Just make sure they are shut away at night.
    Also in a more urban enviroment I susspect there is loads of other food (bins , scraps for birds etc) that is easier for them they won't bother with your chickens.

don't wory about foxes mate , rats are going to be what you need to worry about!