Thread: Making a Will: Firearms issues

Making a Will: Firearms issues

Following my RTA on Christmas Eve I now realize that I need to get a Will sorted out. My pension situation is fine, however how do I go about ensuring my children can inherit my assorted air rifles, shot guns and centre fires.?

The three eldest all shoot but as they live with their mum they have not as yet got either SG certs or FAC's (eldest is just 16) and there is no way she would allow them to have the weapons in her house.

As a single Dad I find myself in a bit of a quandary.

Have any of you found yourself in the same situation?

Any shooting savy solicitors on the site?

Regards

D

As well as the will, you need to leave them written instructions reference your firearms; detailing all about "section 7" permits and what dealer they can lodge the guns with in the period between your demise and the granting of the permit. A rundown of the market values would also be helpful, should they decide to sell rather than keep the guns. One of the blokes on here has the amusing signature that goes summat like "my biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them".
    Rather than give "best guess" I'll leave the legal bits to those who know better.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Following my RTA on Christmas Eve I now realize that I need to get a Will sorted out. My pension situation is fine, however how do I go about ensuring my children can inherit my assorted air rifles, shot guns and centre fires.?

The three eldest all shoot but as they live with their mum they have not as yet got either SG certs or FAC's (eldest is just 16) and there is no way she would allow them to have the weapons in her house.

As a single Dad I find myself in a bit of a quandary.

Have any of you found yourself in the same situation?

Any shooting savy solicitors on the site?

Regards

D

Get your siblings a fac shotgun certificate put the weapons on there's certificate job done I done it for years problem solved as for a will when you got separated divorced you should have sorted it then .

Your exwife will still get the lot no matter what anyone else says or thinks happened to a good friend of mine after a huge divorce wrangle he died and she got everything in the end because he never changed his will she still laughing about it tart .

This is a over site in many many cases this is the first thing you must change unless you've got huge debts and want her to pay through the nose.

Account Suspended
    My son shoots and will inherit any guns I have. So, we have both his and mine, all, on both our certs. Saves anyone getting their knickers in a twist if I pop my clogs unexpectedly (and vice versa)

SD Regular
    One issue might be where to find your cabinet keys! It might be useful to make a relationship with a reliable local RFD in any case and ask your police if you can lodge a set of your cabinet keys with him.

Not house keys, just cabinet keys, that's all.

Also it might be worth stating that you want all the telescopic sights taken off and sold separate from the guns. It isn't unknown for a rifle, with a Zeiss 'scope, to make just 240 all-in!

Yet apart the rifle might make 150 and the 'scope 300 plus! I bought a Parker Hale M81 in 270 with a Zeiss 6x42 Diatal-C for 240 all-in that way! And sold the 'scope on eBay for 220 and put my own Diavari-C 3-9x36 onto the rifle.

So I got an near unused and modern P-H rifle for just about 60 when all the auction and eBay and Paypal fees are added up or taken off!

Also consider a REPUTABLE auction house and not have that dealer sell them for you. An auction house will get you the best price "on the day".

Hope that it is a long way away for you anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    One of the blokes on here has the amusing signature that goes summat like "my biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell all my guns for what I told her I paid for them".
    I never thought of that!!! hahaha