Thread: .22 centre fires & Roe

.22 centre fires & Roe

I have shot quite a few Roe with a .222 or .22-250 and havent had any problems but i have never needed to shoot any further than 125yds. Im sure that with a good chest shot they would be fine out to about 175yds but what range do other members use them out to? Cheers

If you are familiar with your rifle, scope and bullet choice thatsthe determining factor. I have had the same Rem 700 for about 8 years in 22/250 and am happy to take Roe out to 225 yards or so. I tend to use Sako 55 grAIN gameheads. Always works.

.223 on a calm day is sharp to 200 easy

Thanks, thats good to know. I know they will take munties as far as you want but felt that the treble especially mite be lacking a bit of clout for Roe once you get past 150ish.

Hi webley22

.222 is a fantastic round for roe. I have knocked over hundreds with my little Tikka T3. If i was only shooting roe, the little treble would definitely be my choice.

Regards, Dan.

I am happy using my .223 with 55grs out to 150yds for roe, but anything above that I would pass on. (not a question of hitting them at that range but stopping power would be questionable) I read somewhere the optimum game weight for a .223 using 55gr bullets is only 20lbs at 200yds!!!
    Sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Quote Originally Posted by webley22 View Post
    Thanks, thats good to know. I know they will take munties as far as you want but felt that the treble especially mite be lacking a bit of clout for Roe once you get past 150ish.
    I would much rather topple roe with a .22 than a munty.

Munties are rather thick skinned to say the least. I find roe a much lighter animal.

Dan - Yes the .222 would be my first choice out of the .22CF's. i feel its a much 'nicer' round to use than a .223. just a personal bias TBH though.

SC - i agree that muntjack are a bit stockier size wise than roe but have never found them harder to kill. I have never shot a muntjack thats taken a step further after being hit (now the next 1 i shoot is going to go miles!) but they do seem to have a tough reputation. i feel that many runners are due to large heavy bullets just zipping through rather than .22s that dump must of the energy in them.

The 1000ft/lbs rule seems quite proportionate to me. The size of quarry has obviously been considered by the law makers, and I'd say that it's just down to observing the sensible ranges that the majority of stalkers adhere to.

There was a rip roaring debate on this here :

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...2-Roe-Calibres