Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please Ruger 77/22 k Hornet

Opinions please Ruger 77/22 k Hornet

Hello
    What are people thoughts in the Ruger M77/22 K Hornet
    Thanks in advance.

I was told the following when looking for my Hornet, came from a Ruger fan as well.
    "It is not that you won't get an accurate Ruger 77 hornet, it is that you probably won't."
    "If you buy the CZ hornet, you probably will get an accurate Hornet"
    Looking at the design it has several minuses, the main ones being a wobbly 2 piece bolt with the locking lugs at the rear, and a rubbish trigger.
    That alone is not a good idea, and having shot a couple of Ruger hornet I can say I was un-impressed.
    The CZ on the other hand seems very accurate straight out the box, and with a trigger so much better than the Ruger it is not even funny.
    To finish up, even if you discount the CZ ? there are several other Hornets that would be a much better buy than the Ruger.

Neil.

I'll second that with exclamation points. The absolutely worst shooting Hornet I owned was a Ruger (and I've owned many) that delivered 6 MOA with my best handloads. The absolute best was my current CZ. My business partner got one, I shot it, then bought a 527 American for my son since I had an Anschutz. Both of these guns delivered the identical degree of mind boggling accuracy so I sold my Anschutz and bought a CZ 527 American as well. It shoots the same as the other two. My workmate bought one and it shoots identically well. CZ's are rugged, consistently accurate, and the best Hornet-chambered rifles I have ever owned.

Of course, to make a K-Hornet you'd have to alter that already fine and concentric chamber in the 527 but if a "K" is what you want, get a CZ for the base rifle.~Muir

If you need the extra 150 or so FPS then forget the K Hornet and just buy a .222 or .223

Neil.

SD Regular
    I had one of the delightful BSA 22 Hornet rifles years ago but have to say that pleasant as it was here in UK it really is neither "fish" nor "fowl". In fact I'd view it as about as useful as a reloadable 22 WMR.

Whilst the "K-HORNET" is measurably more quick I don't see that it offers any advantage and several disadvantages over 222 or 223 especially as 222 may legally double for some deer species whilst 22 K-Hornet may not.

Its a nice cartridge, that's for sure, but essentially a one hundred yard rabbit and small fox calibre that has no real advantage here in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I had one of the delightful BSA 22 Hornet rifles years ago but have to say that pleasant as it was here in UK it really is neither "fish" nor "fowl". In fact I'd view it as about as useful as a reloadable 22 WMR.

Whilst the "K-HORNET" is measurably more quick I don't see that it offers any advantage and several disadvantages over 222 or 223 especially as 222 may legally double for some deer species whilst 22 K-Hornet may not.

Its a nice cartridge, that's for sure, but essentially a one hundred yard rabbit and small fox calibre that has no real advantage here in the UK.
    Seriously? A reloadable 22WMR?? If my not-so-dusty memory serves me right, the 40 grain CCI/Federal/Winchester 22WMR loading is a roll-plated lead bullet pushed along at 1950 fps. The Hornet fires a jacketed bullet at 2900 fps with some loads. I have shot 46 grain Winchester bullets at 2840 fps using Lil Gun. These figures hardly indicate that the Hornet is a "reloadable 22WMR" don't you think? Now, factory 45 grain loads can be pretty anemic at 2450 fps, but the Hornady 35 grain V-Max loads are listed at 3050 fps. I have duplicated that load with ease. I have fired 33 grain V-Max bullets at a measured 3262 fps using H-110.

I don't shoot fox but regularly shoot rabbits at 200+ yards. Prairiedogs at that range are an easy shot if the Wind Gods smile at me. Sorry ES, but you must have been shooting some sorry factory ammo to have come up with that evaluation.

I agree with you about the .222/223. The K-Hornet doesn't come too close in performance and it's not as easy to load for. If you get a "K" you must want to shoot it, not for any ballistic advantage over another cartridge.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 23-01-2012 at 00:16.

i second the cz option i had one of the originals 22 hornet with double set triggers , with winchester 45 grn ammo(no reloading here) it still remains the most accurate standard rifle i have shot or owned i would give my left bobbly bit to have it back it would easily put 5 shots into the same raggedy hole of a bag of wheat on the land rover and at 200 yrds it wasn't much worse , i traded it in for an all singing dancing top of the range annie that wasn't a patch on it
    a barony original

SD Regular
    MUIR....I think you've misunderstood my post "In fact I'd view it as about as useful as a reloadable 22 WMR".

I'm not saying that it is the equivalent in terms of performance, just that, for use in the UK it is about as useful (maybe I should have said useless) as a reloadable 22 WMR in that it's neither one thing (cheap) nor the other (legal for some deer) and yet will cost as much to feed as a .222" or .223" but without the performance and more widely available cases and (particularly secondhand) die sets.

I see. Sorry about that. (tho I still think you underestimate it's potential on rabbit and fox.)~Muir

You have a 50-50 chance of getting a Ruger thats a shooter, a mate had one and it was dreadful he nearly smashed it around a tree it was so bad, i bought one in 22WMR knowing what my chances were of getting a good one, well its a pig.

Ian.