Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: largest calibre cleared for deer

largest calibre cleared for deer

there are lots of people on here shooting boar and african game.
    I was wondering if anyone on here had "deer" or "AOLQ" cleared on their .600 Nitro Express or similar big bore!?

Is there justification for the FLO refusing a .416 Rigby or .450 given the lower MV?

I don't have anything as large as that. But the conditions on my FAC allow me to use my .375H&H on deer, so in theory, I could whack a muntajc with a 300gr if I wanted. That's not as mad as it might sound. I have a friend who always used his 9.3x62 with 280gr bullet on roe, and it produced little meat damage compared to his 5.6mm.

-JMS

I have a .444 (.430) marlin cleared for deer which i feed with 265gr interlocks. tough on foxes as well!!!

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

Quote Originally Posted by reiver View Post
    I have a .444 (.430) marlin cleared for deer which i feed with 265gr interlocks. tough on foxes as well!!!

Bob
    Is it cleared on foxes as well Bob?

Cleared for deer,wildboar, fox, & vermin

Bob
    "a man does good business when he rids himself of a turd"

A pal of mine has a .416, but he doesnt shoot game, just paper, damned expensive!

I use a 375 h+h magnum on deer and vermin seems quite a common calibre for deer these days !

Have had some hunters up with a .375 and they killed ok but we got pretty close and that was hard work as i didn't trust them for long shots.

Hi were you refering to the shooter or the rifle as not being trusted for long shots. Also was part of the reason that a shorter shot gave more control over the backstop to the shot, therefore raising trust a little.

Regards

Matthew

I have a Marlin 45/70 Gov, conditioned for Deer,Boar,Fox..(Fox only whilst out stalking)... took a little bit of finger pointing, (@ the relevant portions of Cartridges of the World), and help from a professional stalker down Devon way, to educate the Cheshire flo office,. ......... 400 grain Speer soft points.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!