Arran hinds weeks

I went two years ago and despite the 7 weeks of continuous rain prior to our visit and the fact that we only got out for two full days and one half out of the 4 full days on offer we had a good time.
tricky stalking and a lot of very wet and dense forest.

I would do it again and could probably made more of it had we done a recce the week before, but the issue is that you cant do that as it is being stalked by the peopel booked in the week before.
I think the trick is to arrive Friday and spend Sat Sunday on the ground. 9/10 time you will get the ground nearest where you are staying and they will give you advance notice so you can GoogleEarth the bejaysus out of it.

However, as with any FC managed ground, I am not convinced that the deer are there in the numbers they say they are. either way a good, cheap way to get experience of forestry stalking.

You stalk in pairs, so if you arrive on your own you might be paired with a good stalker or a novice - 2x novices doesn't equal success!

Go with a stalking companion and you canhave a good time.

It has definately not been cancelled as I'm off there Sunday. I've been up there the last four years on the stags never done the hinds befour. I've never came away empty handed the least we have had is three stags. Knowing the ground helps a bit I always go back with the same mate I would never go on my own as u just don't no who you will be partnered with. Just wondered if any one from here had been this year on the hinds.

Hi crouch valley

Maybe you could update us how did it go how many did you get ?
How many stalkers on the week ?
How many weeks they had on the hinds this time ?
Total so far ?

You stalk in pairs, so if you arrive on your own you might be paired with a good stalker or a novice - 2x novices doesn't equal success!

Go with a stalking companion and you canhave a good time.
agree.
there were four of us and they gave us two beats plus the option of a third if the first two didnt do the trick.
trouble is we did them the wrong way round and ended up on the best beat on the last day!

Well what can I say. I had a cracking week on the scheme the weather was the best I have ever seen on Arran in the five years ive been going there. Sun all week with NO rain at all. After the normal meet and great safety talk we headed off to our beats I got my normal beat which was Brodick beat D. When arriving on our beat straight away we saw two hinds on a clearing on the hill standing in the sun we headed off straight away after them unfortunately the wind was very fickle and time we had got there they had gone I think they winded us but a good start never the less. Tuesday morning we headed to the other side of the beat we had been stalking for half an hour when we saw a group of six hinds ahead of us un fortunately there was no way we could get to were they were from were we were. Wednesday we decided to stalk were we saw the six hinds the day before we had only been out the car twenty min's when we saw them again this time we was in the right place and I managed to down the first hind the rest ran straight in so no chance of a second shot which was just as well as to were they were when Bob came out to recover it he said it would not be an easy recovery three hours later we had her recovered and back to the larder. Thursday we went right up on the high ground to see if they were sunning them self's in the heather. What a day the sun was shining the scenery was cracking but unfortunately no deer out so we headed down we then caught sight of some hinds on the lower ground I soon had my second hind on the ground which fell in a much better place as Bob could take the quad right up to her and recover it back to the larder easily. Friday morning had a quick walk around but did not see any thing.
View attachment Arran hind 2012.bmp
There was nine of us on the week I believe and there was fifteen hinds shot with a lot more opportunities missed.
A big thanks to Bob and Griff for a cracking week. :thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks for posting, glad there has been a good uptake on the hinds, hopefully this will secure the scheme for a few years.. When bob says its not going to be easy, he means it!

Cheers,

FF

How much does it cost for the stalking and level of experience is needed??

The stalking is very cheap at £220 for a week on the hinds and £380 for the stags. Then you have accomodadition we pay around £250-300 for a cottage then you have food and fuel try not to buy fuel on the island its very expensive at £1.60 a ltr. To get the best out of Arran a good level of experience is handy or go with some one who has got that experience. Ive been going the last five years and normaly get the same beat so I know the lay of the land which is a very handy start a first timer would spend the first couple of days walking around just looking and its just luck you stumble into them Bob and griff will try and point every one in the right direction if you ask. I will also say that you need to have dsc level one and be registered for level two. A great scheme to go on

The stalking is very cheap at £220 for a week on the hinds and £380 for the stags. Then you have accomodadition we pay around £250-300 for a cottage then you have food and fuel try not to buy fuel on the island its very expensive at £1.60 a ltr. To get the best out of Arran a good level of experience is handy or go with some one who has got that experience. Ive been going the last five years and normaly get the same beat so I know the lay of the land which is a very handy start a first timer would spend the first couple of days walking around just looking and its just luck you stumble into them Bob and griff will try and point every one in the right direction if you ask. I will also say that you need to have dsc level one and be registered for level two. A great scheme to go on

How does one go about enquiring about this stalking??

Back