optilock mounts

mannlicher

hi, im changing my scope from one with a 25mm tube to one with a 26mm tube i use optilock mounts with a plastic insert which are split my question is, is it just a straight forward swap and do you still use the plastic insert and dose it matter what posistion the split in the insert is once in the ring for the scope to be seated right. hope this makes sense.

You definately still need the plastic ring in.

I used to have the split at 6 o'clock, 'cos it looked prettier. Subesequently I read (presumably in the instructions) that the split ought to be at 9 o'clock or 3 o'clock, which makes sense as it allows the ring to close as the rings on the mount are tightened.

I subsequently reoriented the rings on all three rifles with no obvious benefit apart from the smug feeling that I've done it right this time: which must count for something:)

I use Optilocks on 2 of my rifles. The last time I changed scopes I snapped one of said plastic rings, can I gat replacement plastic inserts?

I use Optilocks on 2 of my rifles. The last time I changed scopes I snapped one of said plastic rings, can I gat replacement plastic inserts?
you can get replacements ask your local gunshop to order you some in from gmk who are the tikka and sako main dealer

reload

If you are getting new liners, why not get a new set of Allen screws at the same time? I find I regularly chew the heads of the screws, so I replaced the whole set.

Regards JCS

I have heard a few people mention chewing the screw heads of Optiloc mounts but haven't had this problem myself with either of the sets that I have on either my Sako or my Tikka. The mounts on the Tikka have been on the rifle for about ten years now and those on the Sako for about 18 months, neither has slackened off and I have not needed to tighten them but there again I always use a small amount of screwlock on the threads when mounting scopes.

There was a spares pack on ebay.com a few months ago. It wasn't cheap though.

Sako should be making the mounts to a standard where customers shouldn't need to replace inserts/screws.

Back