Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re Loading .270

Re Loading .270

Hi,

I have been thinking about re loading for my .270, I shoot Norma 140gr nosler at the moment and have no problems everything I shoot drops, A few people I speak to keep asking me why I donít home load. I just want to hear from the more experience guys on here if I will gain any benefits other than the pocket if i do.

Cheers
    Kris laird

You should find improved grouping once you have the load fine tuned, which should give you more confidence for longer shots.

I'm not sure if it works out much cheaper, but it allows you more trigger time for the same money. It also opens up options of using bullet weight's that aren't normally available off the shelf.

As i understand it sierra 90grn hollow points make for a good fox round , but i haven't found these tailor made yet

What does it group like with the norma 140's??

I started out of cost initially but also interest in understanding how the different variables effect how the rifle functions.

HTH

Nathan
    Last edited by twoseventy; 22-01-2012 at 20:51.

better result on the target as you can be 100% sure of each load and cost and cost

I keep toying with the idea of reloading, but having spoken on the range to those who do I am aware:
    1. of the cost of getting the gear
    2. of the amount of powder, bullets, primers and time I'd expend faffing about to work up a super-duper accurate load
    3. of the fact that my rifles range from accurate enough to very accurate with factory ammunition of the right sort.

So I still don't reload.

May biggest expentiture in time and money after buying a new rifle or getting one rebarrelled has been telephoning and travelling to various gunsmiths to buy a range of different factory laods from different manufacturers, and then spending time on the range with a chrono testing for accuracy and velocity.
    Then I pick a load and stick with it. I've never had a shade of a doubt about the reliability of ammuntion from Norma, RWS, GECO or SAKO, which are the makes I use currently.

There is savings to be made over a period of time,to buy all the essential equipment adds up to hundreds of pounds,depends how much ammo you use as well,if you do decide to start reloading keep your factory ammo until you make a load that shoots,it can be a headache getting them to shoot,if you want sub 0
    .5 groups it's takes time and eats your money trying different powders,atb swarovski

Quote Originally Posted by twoseventy View Post
    You should find improved grouping once you have the load fine tuned, which should give you more confidence for longer shots.

I'm not sure if it works out much cheaper, but it allows you more trigger time for the same money. It also opens up options of using bullet weight's that aren't normally available off the shelf.

As i understand it sierra 90grn hollow points make for a good fox round , but i haven't found these tailor made yet

What does it group like with the norma 140's??

I started out of cost initially but also interest in understanding how the different variables effect how the rifle functions.

HTH

Nathan
    It shoots 1/2 at 100yard, They were only £25 a box from macleods of tain

Quote Originally Posted by laird86 View Post
    It shoots 1/2 at 100yard, They were only £25 a box from macleods of tain
    In that case in your position I really wouldn't bother. Life is too short!
    By the way, I wasn't aware that Norma load a 140gr .270. What kind of bullet is it?

My fav load for my 25-06 is 85gr nosler ballistic tips,depending on how many firings the cases do denotes how much a load works out,I buy once fired of a keeper some time which keeps the cost down,I did work out a while back it was around 50 pence a shot,have seen some website advertising a box of 20 factory 85gr nos bal tips for £53,that's crazy money

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    In that case in your position I really wouldn't bother. Life is too short!
    By the way, I wasn't aware that Norma load a 140gr .270. What kind of bullet is it?
    Its a 140gr nosler accubond, He said that they were sent here in a wrong shipment and he got the chance of them and took half a pallet thats how he was selling them cheap, I ant sure he has any left, I got my rfd guy to stock 400 for me.

what is Norma Nosler?

if you get 1/2" at 100 then asking for better from your first home loads is a tough ask
    if you shoot less than 100 rounds a year the cost saving is unlikely to happen inside 2yrs