Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Made "Shoot-n-See" targets.

Home Made "Shoot-n-See" targets.

I like the Shoot-n-see targets. When shooting in low light the "splash" of color around the bullet hole makes sight adjustment easier and in the winter months, when I'm always shooting around dusk, they are a real aide to shooting. Unfortunately, they are expensive so I brain worked a way to duplicate it and then checked the Internet and found that I've been beaten to the punch. My way, and everyone elses it seems, is to take a sheet of bright paper, cover it with strips of wide cellophane tape, and spray paint it with flat-black paint. Then the bullet strikes the target, it flakes off around the bullet hole, leaving a ring of the underlying color. I use a white out pen to make the square in the middle of the target but spray paint and a template would work better.

One tip is to take the taped paper and wipe it down with a soapy sponge before painting. The paint sticks better. Hope this helps someone.~Muir

+1 for that Muir

will give it a go, thank's

Wullie.
    Your a long time dead, enjoy every day like it's your last!!!

thanks for that idea ,what about laminating a sheet of bright a4 paper i think that will work the same im going to give that a try,atb wayne

Good idea, it got me thinking. on a plywood deer target how simple it would be to pivot a marker which could be held in place horizontally behind the target by a balloon in the kill zone. Pop the ballooon the kill flag pivots vertically to show above the target from long range. Handy if you are having a practice session or a gathering to try targets at various ranges. Jim

Top idea, will give it a try this weekend.
    sinbad
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

Nice one Muir will give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I like the Shoot-n-see targets. When shooting in low light the "splash" of color around the bullet hole makes sight adjustment easier and in the winter months, when I'm always shooting around dusk, they are a real aide to shooting. Unfortunately, they are expensive so I brain worked a way to duplicate it and then checked the Internet and found that I've been beaten to the punch. My way, and everyone elses it seems, is to take a sheet of bright paper, cover it with strips of wide cellophane tape, and spray paint it with flat-black paint. Then the bullet strikes the target, it flakes off around the bullet hole, leaving a ring of the underlying color. I use a white out pen to make the square in the middle of the target but spray paint and a template would work better.

One tip is to take the taped paper and wipe it down with a soapy sponge before painting. The paint sticks better. Hope this helps someone.~Muir
    Sounds good got any before and after pics once shot mate?

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Sounds good got any before and after pics once shot mate?
    I found this one in my garage trash barrel. You can see by the pic that the paint was barely a dusting. The more the paint, the bigger the "splash" the bullet makes. Another light dusting made it work much better. The crossed staples were the point of aim at 50M with a Savage .223.~Muir

Muir, thanks for the info,sounds good, I will give them a try. UK translation Cellophane tape = Sellotape. White out pen = Typpex correction pen. David
    It's accuracy that kills.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post

Hi Muir,

I would have possibly expected this from a UK shooter - but not someone who can't be more than 5 miles from a Walmart?

From the Walmart "Dollar Bin" I regularly take shoot-n-see type targets and one one occasion got a pack of 100 sheets each with a mix of 1/2", 1", 2" and 4" targets all for $1 and I'm still using them.

Other $1 items have been a Remington hat, Winchester target holders (4 available, took all 4!), very warm & waterproof shooting gloves (why sell these in FL?) and ammo cases.

I like going to Walmart. It makes me feel slim and well dressed

ATB

Iain
    Last edited by Eyefor; 25-01-2012 at 10:33.
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it, hump it or learn from it then piss on it and walk away.

"HOSPITALITY" - the art of making guests feel at home (when you wish they were).