Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NV alternative

NV alternative

Does anyone own or have used one of the following ND3x50 Sub Zero Laser Designator. They are advertised as an alternative to night vision......

Link to one of the places that sell them
    http://www.scottcoun...Vision-4885.htm

Quote Originally Posted by simon t View Post
    Does anyone own or have used one of the following ND3x50 Sub Zero Laser Designator. They are advertised as an alternative to night vision......

Link to one of the places that sell them
    http://www.scottcoun...Vision-4885.htm
    Not used one myself, but have heard loads of bad things about them - in essence, they seem to be considered a way over-priced torch - and not a very good one at that...

SD Regular
    Hi Simon,

I have one and I think it's fab - but it does have it's limitations and it's not an alternative to NV (IMHO). It is just about the best scope mounted lamp you'll see - but then you'd expect that for the money - and while animals tend to seem less bothered by the light, they do see it. It's scope mounted and light, you can focus the beam precisely to the FoV of your scope and it's brighter than you will need for the distance you will want to shoot at night - whatever that is.

It's a different tool, but as good as NV? Not for me it isn't.

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

If the blurb is to be belived it sounds good, but is it that good. I doubt it, but would live to try one. Do any places offer try before you buy on this sort of stuff.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie_3 View Post
    If the blurb is to be belived it sounds good, but is it that good. I doubt it, but would live to try one. Do any places offer try before you buy on this sort of stuff.
    Geordie, let me see if I can't sort a demo of mine out for you....should be over your neck in a couple of weeks.....

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Cheers for the replies so far....Good NV i.e gen 2 and above is pricey so looking at different ideas.
    I have a gen1 monocular but the distance isnt great, so was thinking an IR illuminator but still not sure what distance that would give me..Thats when i came across the above

SD Regular
    Cheers for the replies so far....Good NV i.e gen 2 and above is pricey so looking at different ideas.
    I have a gen1 monocular but the distance isnt great, so was thinking an IR illuminator but still not sure what distance that would give me..Thats when i came across the above
    Will depend on the quality of the IR illunimator. I use a Cobra Merlin and with my IR, I can see as far as I need for ID at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Geordie, let me see if I can't sort a demo of mine out for you....should be over your neck in a couple of weeks.....E t R
    That'd be great. You have my contact details and there's a spare bed if you need it.

eric ,do you rate yours i have also been looking at these but dont want to waste money on something thats not up to a job,what sort of range are you able to get realistically,atb wayne

Cheers for the replies so far....Good NV i.e gen 2 and above is pricey so looking at different ideas.I have a gen1 monocular but the distance isnt great, so was thinking an IR illuminator but still not sure what distance that would give me..Thats when i came across the above
    You could try a IR filter on a mag lite, I don't know how far it would throw a beam but might do what you want. OscarDelta - Real Gear for Real People was where I got mine from.