Thread: Comms. does anyone use them ?

Established Poster
    View my Gallery (3)View my Gallery (3)

Comms. does anyone use them ?

Hi all

I have been looking at the various options for a small PMR type radio unit to keep
    in touch whilst out on the hill or during the night when foxing.
    Does anyone have any experience with any of these units and have any plus points or otherwise
    they can pass on.
    I am heading to the US next month and have been eyeing up Cabelas website amongst others.
    They do the GMRS system over there which is more powerful but apparently not authorised in Europe.
    Does anyone know the ins and outs and if the GMRS system actually works here or not ?
    Obviously the prices over there are an attraction !!

Cheers

Alan

If they are not cleared for use in the UK you could get in bother with the Department Of Transport as they may opperate on freqiencies that are designated for other uses, like police. I belive that it is a criminal offence to transmit of unauthorised frequencies. They are likely to be better than anything that you can get for reasonable money here, but it could land you in court.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordie_3 View Post
    If they are not cleared for use in the UK you could get in bother with the Department Of Transport as they may operate on frequencies that are designated for other uses, like police. I believe that it is a criminal offence to transmit of unauthorised frequencies. They are likely to be better than anything that you can get for reasonable money here, but it could land you in court.
    As above Alan,

you need to stay within the law, should you break it while hunting then the ticket will go as well.PMR 446 is called this as the frequency you use it in the 446 MHz band and is licence free in the uk,.

the last person i know of who was convicted of the the above offence against the wireless and telegraphy act got a 2000, fine as well as a 30 day custodial sentence, but he was using it to talk to overseas radio users and then being a pest when asked to stop it.

bob.(G0WYD)
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

As Geordie says - illegal to use in the UK. The enforcing authority is OFCOM and their engineering teams do act on illegal use of radio. The most likely interferance would be to the military. The UK licence free PMR 446 also operate at the edge of the military allocation hence tight control on power output.

Only other solution would be to apply for a licence and purchase commercial sets but at 10x the cost.

Hi Bob - My post must have crossed over yours, nice to see a likeminded soul (besides shooting) on here

Peter (GM8GAX)

Established Poster
    View my Gallery (3)View my Gallery (3)
    Cheers guys
    You are quite right Bob, need to stay legal.
    I have found that the GMRS and FRS are the ones in use in the US
    They operate on a frequency of 462.5mhz
    The PMR operates on 446mhz got it now.
    New question have any of you used the PMR system and if so does it work well enough to be worthwhile ?

Cheers

Alan

I dont use a radio but I do have a pair of the rather Excellent MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X which i actually have my iphone linked to which is cool for listening to music when sitting around waiting (which is sometimes the case when shooting pigeons etc)

I know you can buy various PTT adaptors to connect radios, and I have used my little Motorola's with them once, but didnt have the mic option so couldnt talk back without using the handset and having squeal back!

SD Regular
    I use radio's a lot when out. Range and your local topography will be the key factos in deciding whether PMR will be adequate for your needs. The Ofcom licence for the more powerful radios is about 80 if I remember rightly and the radios aren't that much more expensive - so it may be worth your while, depending on the range and how often you use them.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

I have a good cobra set but rarely use them which is a shame but stay legal and just revisit wether you actually "need" them or just want them, mobiles are easy to use and chances are you have paid for mins in your tarrif that you don't use all of anyway and with blue tooth ear pieces theres no fighting cables either !

Just wish I had the requirement to need to use my pmr's more ! May use them decoying them in future and roost shooting next month !