BBC News Devon "Unlawfully killed in The rutting season"

The Croc

I thought the Stag closed season was August to April????

Must of shot a Hind ( or Doe) then.

Brian

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-16685875

23 January 2012 Two men charged with shooting north Devon deer

Two men have been charged in connection with the unlawful shooting of a deer during the rutting season in Devon.
The animal was shot and killed in the Shirwell and Loxbeare area of North Devon last October.
The men, aged 35 and 38, from the North Devon area, are charged with poaching, killing a deer during the closed season and unlawfully killing a deer.
All wild deer, with the exception of Muntjac, are protected during the closed season.
For female deer - does and hinds - this is from 1 March to 31 October. Stags and bucks have a shorter closed season from 1 May to 31 July.
The two men will appear before North and East Devon Magistrates' Court in February.
It is not known what type of deer was killed, but the three most common species in the area are red, fallow and roe.

Last edited:
I thought the Stag closed season was August to April????

Err no, stags and (fallow) bucks have a closed season of 1 May - 31 July as per the article.

No mention of which species or sex so as you say, probably a female deer.

Not being a Stalker I had to look on the BASC site for the info, I have misinterpreted the info oops :oops:
Brian

Last edited:
Hey Croc - the info you found is right - but these are the open seasons, not the closed ones - so Orion is correct.

Interestingly, the article is therefore wrong in the close dates - 1 April not 1 March (emboldened text in OP).

Back