270 load wanted

270TOMMY

just bought some winchester 130gr silvertip bullet heads dated 1965 in 270 cal anybody know of a start or proven load for these

Tommy, don't want to p88s on your parade, but two things spring to mind here, 1/ saw a thread here some time ago referance the fact that old heads can become hardened/brittle from the forming process of making/swaging the heads to the lead core. From what I can remember from my apprentice days its called season ageing? Also, I can, remember having problems some years ago with Winchester 270 bullets going straight through animals without expanding, from my days with several FC rangers, they were sent back due to just going straight through and causeing lots of long follow ups on wounded deer. It also happened to me as well, and was the reason I started reloading 30 odd years ago. Hodgesons H4831 58 to 59 grns in my Manlicher M with various 130 gr bullets was accurate and kind on the shoulder. Others may have had the same issues, but definately Winchester 130 factory loads. deerwarden.

thanks lads i use 58grns of h4831 with my hornadys,always on the mark.i will load a few get them shooting on the mark then try 5 on some hinds next week and see what they are like

Tommy, don't want to p88s on your parade, but two things spring to mind here, 1/ saw a thread here some time ago referance the fact that old heads can become hardened/brittle from the forming process of making/swaging the heads to the lead core. From what I can remember from my apprentice days its called season ageing? Also, I can, remember having problems some years ago with Winchester 270 bullets going straight through animals without expanding, from my days with several FC rangers, they were sent back due to just going straight through and causeing lots of long follow ups on wounded deer. It also happened to me as well, and was the reason I started reloading 30 odd years ago. Hodgesons H4831 58 to 59 grns in my Manlicher M with various 130 gr bullets was accurate and kind on the shoulder. Others may have had the same issues, but definately Winchester 130 factory loads. deerwarden.

I wonder: I have some Sisks bullet from the 1950's that perform as well as they ever did. I have a stock-pile of 220 grain Hornady bullets in metal banded boxes from the 1960's that work well, also. I recently received two boxes of loaded "Western" 30-40 ammunition loaded with "Lubaloy" 180 grain bullets. I'm guessing they will work just fine despite being 60 years old. I guess it would depend on the alloy in the jacket.

Some very early cartridge cases (pre-WWI) would split necks like daisy pedals when left for a few decades after sizing but I have never witnessed it outside of books.~Muir

Back