Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .270 love it or hate it.

.270 love it or hate it.

Hi All,
    I was wondering more out of curiosity than anything else.
    What do the guys on this site think about the .270 calibre.?
    I personally really like it, I accept that there are advantages and disadvantages but that the case with any calibre.
    Yet when you read reviews, listen to debate people either love or hate the .270.
    Of course its personnel thing and see interesting threads on this site covering other calibres.
    So I thought I might be interesting to see what opinion is, bearing in mind that we some very experienced seasoned campaigners on this forum who know what there talking about.
    So over to you.,

Thanks

Smithy

270 for me

This is going to cause some die in the whole 30 calibre boys to spit, but I have used a 270 for over 20 years. I personally like the round, and have used it on all the British species and in Africa.

Some folk hate it, as it tends to kick a bit, rather than push. But with a moddy on the end it is a joy to shoot, and although for homeloaders you have not got the bullet variation that a 308 has, a 270 does it for me.

I also like the 25.06 which is another favourite caliber of mine.

270 gets my vote.

just a bit smaller .260

Rabbit

Re: .270 love it or hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by smithp18
    Hi All,
    I was wondering more out of curiosity than anything else.
    What do the guys on this site think about the .270 calibre.?
    I personally really like it, I accept that there are advantages and disadvantages but that the case with any calibre.
    Yet when you read reviews, listen to debate people either love or hate the .270.
    Of course its personnel thing and see interesting threads on this site covering other calibres.
    So I thought I might be interesting to see what opinion is, bearing in mind that we some very experienced seasoned campaigners on this forum who know what there talking about.
    So over to you.,

Thanks

Smithy
    .270's All the noise of a 30-06 and a bigger slap, but none of the versatility. None of the advantages of a short actioned .308 and again not as versatile. If you don't want to step up to a 30cal buy a 6.5X55. Does all that a .270 does just does it better. IMHO

If I was into custom calibres and home loading I'd opt for a .260.

Rabbit
    Quote Originally Posted by splash
    just a bit smaller .260
    Other way around Slash .270=6.3mm & .260= 6.5mm

200yds or under makes no difference you should still have a dead deer, whichever calibre you use. I just prefer to do it with a 270 with a mod on, no noise

Rabbit
    Get inside 50yds and you could do it with a .22rf.

Why shoot a calibre that you need to fit a mod to in order to tame it or as so many do download it and make it a pleasure to use?

Like you say its down to personal choice. It just not for me. I'm not a lover of mods either so its a double loser for me.

Mr Rabbit

You need to chill out a bit.

6.5x55 nice
    270 nice
    7x64 nice
    308 nice
    30-06 nice
    mod on mod off - quiet/noisy

If you think a 270 has a kick try a 375 or 458 Lott

Medium calibers are all medium calibres so there is no significant advantage between any of them just personal preference. My preference is 7x64 because its a nice looking cartridge

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Other way around Slash .270=6.3mm & .260= 6.5mm
    Mr Rabbit

Learn to count

.270=6.8mm

.270 I lovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvve it.

but as Mark says makes bugger all difference under 200yrds which ever deer legal cal' you use.

Best rgds

Thar

Malc and Mark are right, within certain constraints it makes not a lot of difference what you use, it is just personal preference and not a thing to get worked up over. Me. I mostly use a 6.5X55 because I like and the range of heads available make it extremely attractive for the homeloader. Of course, I have only ever fired one weight in mine, 129 grain Hornady Interlocks (but I do have other weights waiting to be loaded).

Why? because I would have no excuse for having more than one rifle

John