Thread: Antlered does

Antlered does

Here's a photo of an antlered doe I knew from last year, she was found by one of my beaters 2 weeks ago, blind in one eye and lying up in a pile of brash gasping her last, when I skinned her she had an old leg injury, also actiomyosis where a premolar had fallen out. The base of the antler feels as if there is the beginnings of a coronet on the outside half of it.

Unusual in itself but then a guest shot the doe pictured next to her on sunday morning, she is showing pretty good raised pedicles.

What is even more unusual is that on saturday night I saw another doe which I have now known for 2 years and watched her antlers grow, she started off with a simple spike like the one shown here but now has another spike and what looks from a distance like 3 points on the other side, she had a buck kid last year and twins this year. Another guest shot a doe on mine last week that only had one kidney and it looked like it had taken some hammer doing all the work on its own. Must be something in the water round here.

i never realised it could be so common, could it be something "hereditary"?

One I shot many years ago, the velvet came off whilst boiling the head.
    HWH.

Never seen doe's with horns but have came across two red deer hinds with small horns like say a knobber one from near Kingussie and one near dingwall, both had calves.

Very strange to hear of so many on one patch!

I thought it was caused by a hormone imbalance which isn't normally hereditary???

ATB

Rob
    243Sako

Quote Originally Posted by 243Sako View Post
    Very strange to hear of so many on one patch!

I thought it was caused by a hormone imbalance which isn't normally hereditary???

ATB

Rob
    243Sako
    Page 123 of `Wild Deer` by A.J. de Nahlik [1959.] states `Upset of the sex-hormonal system in does [Roe] and hinds may result in the growth of antlers which are rarely normal in shape, and sometimes form a perruke which is dropped from time to time.
    In those cases where normal antlers are grown they are normally shed immediately before or after the fawn dropping time.`

HWH.