Thread: When to apply for FAC.

When to apply for FAC.

Apologies if this has been covered before, but i'm fairly new to this site and couldn't find anything that covered this exactly in the search!

I am a recent convert to stalking (have been on a couple of paid stalks) and am planning to do my DSC1 december this year. Preparatory to that i am going on a pre-DSC course this april, and intend to get at least another couple of stalks in (well as many as time and money allow really!).

I currently have permissions for rabbit shooting with an air-rifle, but no ground that has been passed for FAC rifles (although one or two permissions might be suitable for rimfire - if i'm optomistic).

I am looking for a rifle club in my area where i might be able to practice with a .243 prior to my DSC1, but not found one yet.

The main question is - do you think I would be granted an FAC for the purpose of deer stalking (paid stalks until i find a syndicate or permission) given my intention to do DSC etc?

Hope the above is clear
    MIke

You can apply for a firearms certificate on the basis of paid stalking. You do not require DSC1, nor do you require land of your own or permission to shoot over land. Suggest you study the HO Guidance to Police, chapter 13 in depth. Also the BASC Guidance & Factsheets in the Firearms Dept section of their website, plus any and all threads in thios section of the forum. Then come back with any specific queries you have. A tip: Keep all evidence of stalking outings you have done or have booked.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    You can apply for a firearms certificate on the basis of paid stalking. You do not require DSC1, nor do you require land of your own or permission to shoot over land. Suggest you study the HO Guidance to Police, chapter 13 in depth. Also the BASC Guidance & Factsheets in the Firearms Dept section of their website, plus any and all threads in thios section of the forum. Then come back with any specific queries you have. A tip: Keep all evidence of stalking outings you have done or have booked.
    +1 Make sure that you have some new bookings to hand before applying for your FAC. It will help considerably both with your application, DSC1 and shooting practice if you can find a suitable club with a fullbore range.

Thanks guys,
    Will make sure i keep a record of all stalks i go on (and ones booked for the future). Tend to keep records anyway as my memory can be a bit haphazard!
    Having a bit of difficulty finding a suitable range/club close to me but will keep looking.

Essex firearms licensing will tell you what you need to know to satisfy their policies WRT deer cal rifles, they may require DSC1 or not.

Thanks jack, will give them a call.

Quote Originally Posted by jack View Post
    Essex firearms licensing will tell you what you need to know to satisfy their policies WRT deer cal rifles, they may require DSC1 or not.
    And if 'their' policies diverge greatly from legislation and impinge on your right to obtain a Firearms Certificate, then you need to know where you stand.

DSC1 is not a requirement to obtain a deer calibre rifle, it is a voluntary demostration of an individual's competance.

Depending on how far you are prepared to go, I think there are several clubs that shoot at the MOD range at Barton Road, Cambridge which is probably no more than an hour away from you. I can't remember which clubs but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along in a moment.

Knots

SD Regular
    Mike,

Essex would appear to have a DSCL1 'policy' in place. John Hopes is the senior FLO and he's made it clear to a number of people I know that you will be mentored until you have passed your DSCL1. I'd get it as soon as you can - I know December is the Epping BASC course, but there are plenty of providers running courses monthly if you spread your net a little wider - and some good online tools.
    As others have said paid stalks are reason to own a deer legal calibre, so get as much evidence together as you can. Being actually booked on a DSCL1 when they visit will also show willing and longer term interest. Out of interest, why are you assking for a 243?

On rifle clubs, I believe there is a one with a good range at Bishops Stortford - Bishops Stortford (1944) Rifle Club -

HTH

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Thanks all for the tips,
    Have contacted the club as bishops stortford and it sound ok but i'd need my own rifle (so not really practical till i get FAC). Have also contacted a club that use Barton Road range nr cambridge - waiting for reply to find out if it's poss to use club rifles there! (also enrolment subs are much cheaper than the BS club!) Not sure now whether i should apply for FAC prior to DSC1 so i can practice with the rifle i plan to be using or whether i'm more likely to be succesful if i wait till after doing DSC1.

Incidentally - .243 for the reason that thats the only cal cf i have used for deer so far and i seem to get on with it. I'll initially only be going stalking for Muntjac, CWD, Roe and maybe Fallow on occasion - so from what i read .243 should be man enough for the job?