Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DSC 1 - course duration & cost - N.Ireland

DSC 1 - course duration & cost - N.Ireland

i am looking into doing the DSC 1 course in N.ireland

SACS are running a 2 day course soon for 150, but this does not award the DSC 1, it only gives a certificate to apply for a "deer caliber rifle" - this does not interest me, as i want the DSC 1 qualification

BASC and BDS run the DSC 1 course at a price of around 300 ! however it is a 4 day course ! which would mean finding accomodation close to the course location, so say an additional 100 for 3 nights accomodation, and then food etc after that, makes it 400+ which in my book is an expensive certificate (which,as yet, is not a compulsary qualification to hold)

So why does it take 4 days to run the DSC 1 course in N.Ireland, when other shooting establishments in Scotland can run it over 2 days, for less money ??

as much as i would like to have the qualification, i just cant justify it, as we can go to Scotland for the weekend and stalk deer (and bring home the carcass) for around half the price to do the course

there are 3 of us, possibly 4 who are wanting to do the course. I have read on the BASC web site that it is possible to arrange to have your own assessment day, 6 stalkers being the ideal number, however no training is given, so you need to know your stuff before hand. Anyone interested in this and want to make up the numbers, give me a shout and i will make more enquiries, i have no idea on how much this would cost. but as its only 1 day, should be no where near 300, i hope.

any advice or guidance appreciated

rant over
    many thanks
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Bri View Post
    i am looking into doing the DSC 1 course in N.ireland

SACS are running a 2 day course soon for 150, but this does not award the DSC 1, it only gives a certificate to apply for a "deer caliber rifle" - this does not interest me, as i want the DSC 1 qualification

BASC and BDS run the DSC 1 course at a price of around 300 ! however it is a 4 day course ! which would mean finding accomodation close to the course location, so say an additional 100 for 3 nights accomodation, and then food etc after that, makes it 400+ which in my book is an expensive certificate (which,as yet, is not a compulsary qualification to hold)

So why does it take 4 days to run the DSC 1 course in N.Ireland, when other shooting establishments in Scotland can run it over 2 days, for less money ??

as much as i would like to have the qualification, i just cant justify it, as we can go to Scotland for the weekend and stalk deer (and bring home the carcass) for around half the price to do the course

there are 3 of us, possibly 4 who are wanting to do the course. I have read on the BASC web site that it is possible to arrange to have your own assessment day, 6 stalkers being the ideal number, however no training is given, so you need to know your stuff before hand. Anyone interested in this and want to make up the numbers, give me a shout and i will make more enquiries, i have no idea on how much this would cost. but as its only 1 day, should be no where near 300, i hope.

any advice or guidance appreciated

rant over
    many thanks
    Brian
    I just sent a Cheque to SACS yesterday for 150.
    I already have a deer legal calibre, but do not have the DSC. I understood this course would allow me to get deer cleared on my certificate???

I agree completely about the cost of the basc course, also you have to be a member to do the BASC course, which I no longer am- so you can at 65 to the cost straight out...

Quote Originally Posted by Glensman View Post
    I just sent a Cheque to SACS yesterday for 150.
    I already have a deer legal calibre, but do not have the DSC. I understood this course would allow me to get deer cleared on my certificate???

I agree completely about the cost of the basc course, also you have to be a member to do the BASC course, which I no longer am- so you can at 65 to the cost straight out...
    I have just emailed police firearms and received a very quick and clear response stating that the SACS course I am enroled in will allow my licence to be opened up for Deer Stalking with the correct land permissions.

Come across to SW Scotland, drop me a pm and I can sort you out a one day course with accom for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by paul at barony View Post
    Come across to SW Scotland, drop me a pm and I can sort you out a one day course with accom for the right price.
    I've unfortunately already sent the Cheque to SACS or I would have taken you up on that one!

I did mine with SACS over in Scotland a lot of years ago, maybe a dozen I think.

At that time I certainly got a DSC1 as a result.

Don't know where you live Devil-Bri, but you can drive anywhere in NI from anywhere else in well under 2 hours so you should be able to commute to the BASC course if necessary, which fairly reduces your outlays.

I would take up Paul above on his offer and nip across to Scotland, and make a weekend of it. I know it comes in for a lot of stick, particularly as the PSNI have basically made it compulsory, but the DSC1 is well worth doing.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Quote Originally Posted by Claret_Dabbler View Post
    I did mine with SACS over in Scotland a lot of years ago, maybe a dozen I think.

At that time I certainly got a DSC1 as a result.

Don't know where you live Devil-Bri, but you can drive anywhere in NI from anywhere else in well under 2 hours so you should be able to commute to the BASC course if necessary, which fairly reduces your outlays.
    It's 2 1/2 hours from here Brian. Making it a 5hr commute

Luckily the SACS one is only 45mins from me

2.5 hours drive for me to. I would of done the sacs course, it certainly helps your case to get a deer calibre, but is not a guarantee as you will also need to supply police with land with deer.
    I would prefer to have the dsc 1 as some land owners require it

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Bri View Post
    2.5 hours drive for me to. I would of done the sacs course, it certainly helps your case to get a deer calibre, but is not a guarantee as you will also need to supply police with land with deer.
    I would prefer to have the dsc 1 as some land owners require it
    Well I have confirmation from the PSNI that the SACS course will be accepted.
    However, I already have a deer legal calibre, I am looking to get it opened for deer.
    I also have landholder permssion in place. Role on the 3rd of March, I am looking forward to the course!

buy the course book from bds think it was 40 for book
    do the home study then put yourself forward for assesment
    i was quoted 165 for assesment only or 250 including one days training
    done it last year so prices might have changed
    try this link http://www.ayrstalk.co.uk/index.asp