Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody use Hollow Point Boat Tail ammo in .308 on deer?

Does anybody use Hollow Point Boat Tail ammo in .308 on deer?

Hi all,

As per the title, do any of you use it? Some of you may have seen my new toy, and I'm hoping to use said toy at Bisley as well as on bambi. Naturally, I'd like to standardise on ammunition so that what i use on the range is what i use in "the field" (you know that place where everything happens...)

I've heard good things about a firm called HPS in Gloucester, Target Master Ammunition from HPS They load plenty of .308 for competition use with Hollow Points, in particular the Sierra Match King, so i may give them a whirl at some stage if i can find positive evidence that the stuff is effective/legal for deer. It seems Obvious that Hollow Point will expand with a Dum Dum effect, but does it cut the cheese when it comes to deer???

All the best,
    Nick

Found this interesting little article:
    http://stevespages.com/jpg/bestbullet.jpg
    Last edited by digger9523; 24-01-2012 at 21:34.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Digger,HPS use the sierra match king bullet which is a target bullet that is neither legal or suitable for deer stalking in this country. Take a look at the Sierra website for further information on matchking bullets, but don't forget that in many countries there is no requirement to use expanding bullets for stalking and many shooters will use fmj or match bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Digger,HPS use the sierra match king bullet which is a target bullet that is neither legal or suitable for deer stalking in this country. Take a look at the Sierra website for further information on matchking bullets, but don't forget that in many countries there is no requirement to use expanding bullets for stalking and many shooters will use fmj or match bullets.
    I suspected as much mate, there's a few septics saying they get on with them, but the ominous lack of tales of success from good old Blighty had led me to the common sense conclusion.

Always best to check and you never know, there may be some unsuspecting chap who'll read this and get an eye opener!

I know there's a few target shooters on here, anybody got a dual deer and target load?
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

You won't get a dual deer and target load digger because of the differing legal requirements. You can get similar loads but not one load that is suitable for both.
    In very simple terms the deer act requires the use of an expanding bullet for shooting deer and the firearms act prevents the use of expanding bullets for target shooting. The use of expanding bullets may (but not always) be permitted on ranges that are not under the control of the M.O.D. for zeroing and limited practise only, but are not permitted for target shooting.

Dare I mention Amax!

You can mention it ubique but there can't be any confusion now can there, following clarrification from ACPO and the H.O.

No confusion at all 8x57, but also no doubting that it is a very accurate and efficient bullet for whatever use you put it too, but agreed not deemed as a hunting bullet.

Berger have rebranded their thinner jacked hollow points as "hunting" ammo. I believe this came about because some people getting very high velocities were managing to make these bullets fail in flight so Berger produced a new line with a thicker jacket. They then became aware that some people were using their thinner jacketed bullets with great success for long range hunting and so they rebranded them slightly and kept producing them - they are the same bullet as was branded as a target bullet until recently.

While this doesn't entirely solve your problem it certainly raises the possibility that you could use a bullet built to target shooting standards on deer and also on ranges, where such a bullet is allowed, at least for zeroing and the like. It may be that in an informal range setting you may, for example, care to compare your zeroing target with that of others to see how your performance compared to their target shooting performance.

Quote Originally Posted by caorach View Post
    Berger have rebranded their thinner jacked hollow points as "hunting" ammo. I believe this came about because some people getting very high velocities were managing to make these bullets fail in flight so Berger produced a new line with a thicker jacket. They then became aware that some people were using their thinner jacketed bullets with great success for long range hunting and so they rebranded them slightly and kept producing them - they are the same bullet as was branded as a target bullet until recently.

While this doesn't entirely solve your problem it certainly raises the possibility that you could use a bullet built to target shooting standards on deer and also on ranges, where such a bullet is allowed, at least for zeroing and the like. It may be that in an informal range setting you may, for example, care to compare your zeroing target with that of others to see how your performance compared to their target shooting performance.
    These guys use berger hunting vld's
    http://www.longrangepursuit.com/episode-list check it out

I was given some Privi .308 HPBT to try by my dealer in Zurich. Accuracy wise they were amazing and I tested them out to 300 meters on the range with fantastic results. I used them for stalking up until February of last year and didn't find them wanting save for once, when one round failed to expand, necessitating a follow up shot. I now use Blaser CDp ammunition as it has the same POI as the Privi and as the Privi is a fifth of the price of Blaser, I use it for practise.