Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: H'dy 87g BTHP - Varmint? WTF!

H'dy 87g BTHP - Varmint? WTF!

Been using the Hornady 87g BTHP in 6mm/.243 for a while now, great for roe and fox...just tried to find it on the Hornady website but it only shows under the 'Varmint' section These were sold to me as standard hollow points for deer, and now I'm starting to wonder if they really are not suitable for deer at all...

I now others here use them too..what are your thoughts?

As accurate as hell but to explosive for my liking much prefer the 87 grn soft points
    www.anglocustomrifle.co.uk
    Anglo deer management and training
    Yet another 7mm 08 user ..................... if Carlsberg made calibers.........................

I've been using them for the last thirty+ years and have had no complaints from my Game Dealer or from the Deer I have shot at or from me for the ones I have butchered and eaten.
    I did contact Hornady and questioned them when I spotted them in their new catalogue in 2002 and was told there are two 87GrHpt Bt.
    The traditional hunting bullet is #2442 and the varmint bullet is #22440.
    When I got back to them and pointed out that their catalogue shows the #22440 as a V Max with a polymer tip I was told that the polymer tipped V Max is #24403.
    That was when I gave up and just carried on using the #2442 ones I've used for years with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by EMcC View Post
    I've been using them for the last thirty+ years and have had no complaints from my Game Dealer or from the Deer I have shot at or from me for the ones I have butchered and eaten.
    I did contact Hornady and questioned them when I spotted them in their new catalogue in 2002 and was told there are two 87GrHpt Bt.
    The traditional hunting bullet is #2442 and the varmint bullet is #22440.
    When I got back to them and pointed out that their catalogue shows the #22440 as a V Max with a polymer tip I was told that the polymer tipped V Max is #24403.
    That was when I gave up and just carried on using the #2442 ones I've used for years with no problems.
    thanks for the info eddy just been up to the gun room to check the batch numbers on 200 heads bought recently
    just hadnt noticed the varmint logo on the last batch .
    my lucky day stamped * 2240
    regards pete .

Just checked mine - they're in the 'varmint' box, but state 2442. been working fine on roe up to now, and the chap who sold them to me did say not to pay attention to the box

varmint heads drop them better

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Been using the Hornady 87g BTHP in 6mm/.243 for a while now, great for roe and fox...just tried to find it on the Hornady website but it only shows under the 'Varmint' section These were sold to me as standard hollow points for deer, and now I'm starting to wonder if they really are not suitable for deer at all...

I now others here use them too..what are your thoughts?
    Been using mine on roe for a couple of years, never had any problems. Extremely accurate. Just recently sighted them back in again following a new batch reload. They kill quickly and to be honest never noticed any more damage than with the 100grain soft points I have been using.

"varmint heads drop them better"

Whoaaaah... ha ha ha ha ha..

ps. I'm using 35.5g Varget, but not filling case more than about 70%, would like powder that fills more like 90% - any experiences with other powders? ideally a powder that will double up for reloading 30-06 with 180g partitions?

N160
    Perfectomundo!
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!