Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: 30.06 loads

  1. #1

    30.06 loads

    I've just bought a steyer manl in pro mountain(shorter barrel)

    I seem to remember a thread regarding the struggle they had getting groups.

    I plan to 165gn noslers with v150 or h4895 and wondered if anyone has first experience and a good starting point.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    getting good results with 51.9 grains of 140 still to do a full run of load development though.

    Dave

  3. #3
    I have a Sako 85 in 30-06 with a 20 inch barrel. I use 165 grain Speer SPBT with 61 grains of Viht N160. This load gives 2,800 mv with very good consistency over the chronograph. It is very effective on the larger deer species without undue damage, depending on shot placement. I have used it for several years without problems, mainly on Fallow.
    Some Muntjac have been culled with this load, without any more (probably less) damage than a less powerful round. However I suspect that a badly placed (shoulder blades for example) shot would cause severe damage, owing to the power.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Norm View Post
    I have a Sako 85 in 30-06 with a 20 inch barrel. I use 165 grain Speer SPBT with 61 grains of Viht N160. This load gives 2,800 mv with very good consistency over the chronograph. It is very effective on the larger deer species without undue damage, depending on shot placement. I have used it for several years without problems, mainly on Fallow.
    Some Muntjac have been culled with this load, without any more (probably less) damage than a less powerful round. However I suspect that a badly placed (shoulder blades for example) shot would cause severe damage, owing to the power.
    That seams like a lot of powder but if it works for you with your set up...........

    Dave

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    That seams like a lot of powder but if it works for you with your set up...........

    Dave
    obviously a compressed load

  6. #6
    I used to load my 1903-A3 Service Match rifle with 168 grain Sierras and 44.5 grains of H4895. It was a mild but super accurate load.~Muir

  7. #7
    In reply to the comments regarding 'a lot of powder' and 'compressed load'. I agree it is a lot of powder when I compare it with the 13 grains in my hornet.
    The old Viht' manual gives 63.7 grains of N160 as a maximum load for a 167 grain bullet. The later Viht manual gives 61.7 grains of N160 maximum.
    61 grains just fills the case to the bottom of the neck. It is not a compressed load for the 165 grain Speer bullet. As all us reloaders know only too well, it may work fine in my rifle but not another one. As Dave says.. it works well for me. Best regards.

  8. #8
    If powder doesn't rattle in the case it's gottabe partially compressed,I've only tried one comp load I didn't like it,Ive not bothered since

  9. #9
    I use a Blaser R93 in 30-06 got the barrel last year put a load together using 58.grns Reloader 19 Sierra 165 spbt it gave a mv of around 2650 but is comfortable to shoot and very accurate,
    I also did some with 57.7 gns of H4350 same tip there's a bit more recoil but mv is up to 2800fps and it shoots a bit flatter still groups well at distance
    niether of these loads are compressed and meat damage is not bad either have used it on Fallow Red & Fox's

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Drag1 View Post
    I use a Blaser R93 in 30-06 got the barrel last year put a load together using 58.grns Reloader 19 Sierra 165 spbt it gave a mv of around 2650 but is comfortable to shoot and very accurate,
    I also did some with 57.7 gns of H4350 same tip there's a bit more recoil but mv is up to 2800fps and it shoots a bit flatter still groups well at distance
    niether of these loads are compressed and meat damage is not bad either have used it on Fallow Red & Fox's
    That is almost the same load i have settled on, IMR4350, 57grains Sierra 165grain.
    Cheers
    Richard

Similar Threads

  1. dies wanted .223, 25-06, 30-06
    By Offroad Gary in forum Reloading
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-04-2013, 23:38
  2. 30-06 Tikka T3 Varmint loads that work for my rifle
    By Alaska_Seth in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-05-2011, 00:40
  3. Wanted Cardboard Ammo boxes for either .25-06, .270, .30-06 or 7x64
    By rarms in forum Deer Stalking Equipment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-02-2011, 14:01
  4. What are sako 85's favourite loads in 30-06 ???
    By Ade 30-06 in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2010, 18:33
  5. For Sale BRASS 30-06 & 270 for swap 25-06
    By glyn in forum Reloading
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18-11-2010, 00:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •