Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: when do you tell the police you've a firearm in the car?

when do you tell the police you've a firearm in the car?

following a run in with the boys (and girl) in blue the other night, i just wondered when you felt it was appropriate to tell a police office you had a firearm in the vehicle? say for instance you were pulled over when on your way back from hunting. tell them asap? wait for them to ask? wait for them to spot it?

your thoughts/experiences please.

They usually do a pnc check on your reg plate first so they should know you have a license.

If you`re dressed In your shooting gear then I would think they would assume you have a firearm with you.

I wouldn`t just blurt out ( I have a gun in the vehicle) unless I was asked.

You roll the window down just a touch, turn off the lights in the vehicle, wave the officer a little closer and whisper,,,psst..I've got a loaded firearm right next to me...

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    You roll the window down just a touch, turn off the lights in the vehicle, wave the officer a little closer and whisper,,,psst..I've got a loaded firearm right next to me...
    If only I think that I would wait to be asked, having already reached for my FAC & SGC

been there got the t shirt for that one , myself and a friend were very nearly arrested, just for having two shotguns in slips and a dead fox in the back of a van, back in the middle 80s ,it went from one cop car and two cops to 6 very aggressive and confrontational coppers in 3 vehicles within 10 minutes. only the fact that one of the guns in the shoot i worked for was a cop and i had his home ph number saved the day but it left me with a very nasty taste
    if it were now i would get out lock the car with the remote and then tell them there is a firearm present when you are away from the vehicle
    a barony original

Saw some advise on an American site once, given by a police officer - his advice was, to place your hands on the steering wheel, and say something along the lines of "please do not be alarmed, I have a firearms licence, and I have my shotgun/rifle in the vehicle" BEFORE your vehicle is searched.
    Admittedly, things are slightly different in the US, but that would seem a good way to do it, rather than frightening the poor PC!

Why would you feel it neccessary to inform them? Within your car you will have several possessions that you are entitled to have mainly because they belong to you, would you consider telling them that you have a spare wheel or whatever.
    Travelling early hours of the morning towing a trailer and quad I have been stopped on a few occassions. Unless the Police were intent on legally searching my vehicle (can't think of a resaon they would wish to do so) I would be saying nothing unless they specifically asked.

I'm on the wait till asked buss. From watching "Polise Inetrceptors", they normaly ask if there's anything in the car before they search. Unless they are going to search the car they don't need to know what you have in the car.

I just rang Humberside FAO - and their advice is to mention it at the earliest opportunity, and at the same time produce either a copy, or the original of your certificate.

That is advice direct from the FAO.

Was pulled over by a very nice (just in case she is watching) lady traffic cop in Cumbira a few years ago for contravening a couple of the countries finest traffic laws. She entertained me in the back of her car for 20 minutes with the engine running whilst she checked me out. She had trouble finding my insurance cover but not the fact that I had an FAC. There were two rifles in my car during this time and she had no interest in that whatsoever. She was only interested in my breaking the traffic laws on a virtually empty M5 in broad daylight. Bless. Cant see why one disclose the presence of the rifle unless you are being asked to part company with them.