poachers mentality

as i know it and understand it
A farmer or his representative has the legal right and authority to shoot any animal on this land that is bothering or creating a nuisance to his live stock.
As the deer are on his land in the eye of the law though the deer are transient they belong to the person upon who's land the are residing on at the the time of the incident. Weather the incident be legal shooting or illegal poaching. So in theory he is within his rights to shoot the dog.

However this is just my understanding having been called upon in the past to shoot loose and unruly dogs here in Wensleydale. i have had to shoot 2 in the last 10 years.

Ash 243 I think you might be wrong there as deer only belong to the land owner when they are dead.While they are alive they are owned by no one unless a deer fence has been erected under proper regulations. ;)

6.5 x 55 said:
Ash 243 I think you might be wrong there as deer only belong to the land owner when they are dead. While they are alive they are owned by no one unless a deer fence has been erected under proper regulations. ;)
I made the assumption that as is the case in the past I have come across men running dogs on deer and that the deer in this this post was dead. “As wild deer when alive belong to no-one”. It is the right to take (kill) deer which can be bought and sold, leased and or otherwise traded. As I said deer belong to no one but a farmer land owner or his representative can give you permission to shoot deer upon his land. When a wild deer dies it belongs to the owner of the land it dies on. Therefore as the deer are passing over the land and staying within the boundaries you have your permission on they belong to the owner of the land once dispatched. Deer enclosed inside a deer fence though classified as wild for some purposes are in the property of the farmer land owner or his representative these can be stolen which this then falls under the law of theft, being a more serious offence than poaching.
I have some stalking in York North Yorkshire where we have had instances of dog men coming down from Northumberland to run dog on the deer I am involved with an initiative there with the local police, gamekeeper and tenants of the land with regard to dog me we have had 3 instances in the last two months. Now with the police involving the RSPCA as they now have powers under THE ANIMAL WELFARE ACT 2006 and The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981(England and Wales) (Amendment) Regulations 2004. For once they are working together to try combat it.
As a neighbouring under keeper found out when he forgot to let the local police know he was out lamping and they had 4 ARV’s and the local Force helicopter there at 2am Christmas week .

While i liked you post ash the subject was can he shoot the Dog the answer is no he cant unless it is ragging his live stock if the deer is dead that is different and the deer belongs to him he must then contact the police and report a theft in progress he still cant get his gun out and shoot the dog as you can worry a dead animal. Although i have seen a few terriers ragging a few foxes well after death :lol:

Back