gun shops / pricing

pendle

On Monday 23/1/12 I need to get some more ammo as the home loads where not performing as they should of. I Phoned Border Gun Room in St Boswells and got a price for some 6.5x55 and that was £30.45 for some sako[ the phone conversation was on heard by my mate on his parrot hand free system]
.Great off i went got them bought some more bits as you do. zeroed the rifle spot on then shot 4 roe that day.I then went back to the said gun room the next day to get another box as the rifle was now zeroed in for these and no time to reload and re-zero before stalking next week. The price had then gone up to £33.50 I asked why he charged me more he said that was the price he gave me on the phone the day before. I showed him the receipt from the day before he said it was the wrong price it should have been more .A Rep from edgar Bros was there and started telling me how much trouble they have importing ammo and the price reflects to this and this man in the gun shop should be the man I buy a new gun from. LOL. After putting the price up over night I will not be going there again. P.S I went in to this gun shop last year with a mate to look at a 22.250 and told him to buy it and he did

£2.05p? Is it worth getting worried about?

People make mistakes and he could have given you the wrong price accidentely. Those 4 Roe you killed will buy you 4 boxes anyways...

Unfortunately once you walk into the shop and express what you are looking for they have you by the balls . Or at least thats what seems to happen with my local dealer , everytime i go in there he tries to sell me what he has plenty of but he knows full well if you are after small quantities its not cost effective to travel the additional 20 miles to the next nearest dealer for the sake of a couple of quid .
Hopefully in the near future i will be looking to buy 2 additional rifles 1x22250 and 1x308 but he wont be getting the custom .

he who laughs last laughs longest

The rep from Edgar Bors ..................................... well enough said....... rip off artists of supreme ability :mad: .

Unfortunately once you walk into the shop and express what you are looking for they have you by the balls . Or at least thats what seems to happen with my local dealer , everytime i go in there he tries to sell me what he has plenty of but he knows full well if you are after small quantities its not cost effective to travel the additional 20 miles to the next nearest dealer for the sake of a couple of quid .
Hopefully in the near future i will be looking to buy 2 additional rifles 1x22250 and 1x308 but he wont be getting the custom .

he who laughs last laughs longest[/QUOTE hah yes if i think its the gunshop you are on about i went there once he wanted twice the price
for ammo than what i could get it for at home went back to my digs in the swan disgusted

he who laughs last laughs longest[/QUOTE hah yes if i think its the gunshop you are on about i went there once he wanted twice the price
for ammo than what i could get it for at home went back to my digs in the swan disgusted

d foxxer , you got it a very short walk from the Swan and if its any concellation an expensive local RFD is better than no RFD

Shame you haven't named this RFD because what an idiot!
Presumably the fact he has alienated you and you won't shop there again, means he is happy because he didn't give you a two quid discount!

I reckon what happened here, he gave you trade price (about 10% off) - there aren't massive margins on ammunition or shotgun cartridges, but seeing as you showed him a receipt for your previous purchase id have thought he would have been a little bit more reasonable.

Do what you say you'll do and vote with your feet, if he treats all his customers like this he'll soon be out of business anyway.

I would rather pay the extra fuel costs than encourage rip of merchants .When I still had the hmr my local shop would try and charge upto £2 per box extra but point out that as he was the local shop you should support him and pay the extra .I done it once as I was really desperate but the second time I politely declined and told him I wouldnt be back nor would my 3 friends.

I never pay full price marked on items,always ask how much are they going to knock off,went in my local gunshop a few weeks ago after some varget,£44 on the tub,I said I am not paying that much,he said £40.if you don't ask you won't get :D

Are you sure this is right? My understanding was that the mark-up is more like 25-40%

Say they buy the box of bullets for £20 and mark it up 25%, the price comes to £25. A 10% discount gives you a price of £22.50 but the retailer halved their margin.

Pendel
It looks like you got the locals rate first time round and the tourist prices the next day!!

Bob

or of course he could have got it wrong the first time round and just wanted to charge you the proper price the second time? its £2 is that really worth slating somebody over? granted i would have let you have the cheaper price again but still its only £2

Apache,

Markup and margin are not the same.

In order to achieve a 40% margin you need a 67% markup.

You should "allow" 20% margin to cover your cost of financing your stock. This then leaves only 20% GROSS margin for the business owner's profit. This is the base point for any long term continuing business.

Stan

....if you are prepared to spend £30+ a box then I am sure you can afford it. A box of PPV in 6.5 costs under a tenner and does the job perfectly well, so I don't understand why you would pay £30 in the first place.:eek:

Last edited:
The bottom line. Who travels to a stalking weekend without a proper supply of ammo:cuckoo: I may be fortunate having two good local gunshops with really nice guys. Let's remember the guys have got to make a living.

I dont use the borders gun room very often as a 3hr round trip (althou my mate uses it quite a bit despite that and thinlks there great) but i can say anytime i've been in the staff have been very helpful and knowelegable and quite a good gunsmith, any shotguns which have had wee niggles he does it there and then and never charges very much and often does other wee jobs while he's got it. I take folk as i find them and they have always been very decent with me.
He's only trying to make a living (if u can afford the desiel to come up from n wales plus all the other expsenes assoc with rifles and stalking it's not even a pint off beer)

It is very easy to call small local shops rip off merchants because there a quid or 2 dearer than some big chain miles away, but if u dinae use them u cannae moan when they eventually shut down

I live in a small town and as much as possible support the local businesses (the few that are left atleast) saving a tenner on a tyre or couple of quid on a tin of paint is all very well but by the time u drive 10miles to another town and take account for diesel, travel time(esp when ur running a business) etc, it's really a bargin. It's also surprising how often local shops are actually the same or cheaper than these big ones except when they have special offers on.

As we have seen over and over on this site there are always two sides to every story so lets not jump to conclusions to quickly.

I use Border Gun Room for pretty much everything. I have always found the customer service, support, advice and attention to detail offered by Shaun and his team to be first class.

i never buy loaded rounds any more as i reload but about five years ago i went into my local rfd with my £30 in hand and asked what he had in 243 i have winchester and sako. whats the price of sako i ask ? £36-20p was the reply well the words just came out you robbing b---ard i said well i just had to appolagise and leave when i told my mate what i said he said yes but you ment it. now i dont mind supporting any local gunshop just so long as he is not going to rob you just because he can we all want to make a living i know shooters who live less than a mile who will not use his shop he is far to expensive is the reply.

Back