Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling game and the tax man question

Selling game and the tax man question

Hi guys I have just picked up 2 great farm permissions totalling about 3000 acres, 2000 of which hasn't been shot in a year so is over run with bunnies. The farm manager shot 2300 bunnies on the 1000 acre farm 2 years ago so there are likely to be thousands of them to go at this year

Question is if I keep taking them to the game dealer, would the tax man get involved at some point?

I'm concerned that as they obviously keep records of payment, would they get back to me and would it be classed as taxable earnings should I be lucky enough to bag loads this year?

Any non professional guys shoot this amount of bunnies??

I'm also hoping this land will be suitable for stalking muntjac and CWD in the future when I learn the ropes so this could add to the income,

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Hi guys I have just picked up 2 great farm permissions totalling about 3000 acres, 2000 of which hasn't been shot in a year so is over run with bunnies. The farm manager shot 2300 bunnies on the 1000 acre farm 2 years ago so there are likely to be thousands of them to go at this year

Question is if I keep taking them to the game dealer, would the tax man get involved at some point?

I'm concerned that as they obviously keep records of payment, would they get back to me and would it be classed as taxable earnings should I be lucky enough to bag loads this year?

Any non professional guys shoot this amount of bunnies??

I'm also hoping this land will be suitable for stalking muntjac and CWD in the future when I learn the ropes so this could add to the income,

Cheers
    Probably yes. Do keep a record of all your expenses as if you are running a business e.g. Cost of purchasing & running a vehicle, fuel, phone, cost of rifle & ammunition, membership of & insurance through a shooting organisation etc. Basically what you must be able to do is show that shooting is a hobby rather than a business and that you have been defraying the cost of this by selling the Rabbits. atb, Tim

I touched on this subject before http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...highlight=hmrc
    They do obviously keep records and therefore you could be open to scrutiny of HMRC.
    Cheers
    Richard

Thanks guys I did a search but missed that thread

not unless you tell him, like anything to do with HMRC youve got to tell them first

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    not unless you tell him, like anything to do with HMRC youve got to tell them first
    Or you wait for the paper trail that will catch you up if you take this attitude.
    Your game dealer obviously is paying you and then keeping a record. It won't take forever for HMRC to wonder who A.Nother who supplies thousands of rabbits is!
    The correct answer is you should register with HMRC as self employed, you have three months to do this after you start trading, and it will be your second job, if you have another main one.
    You are supposed to keep records from day one, and use this information on your first self assessment.
    They give you a three month grace period to register because they'd be swamped with new business start ups that fail within their first three months if they didn't.

You would probably get away with dropping a few hundred in a year, for cash in hand, but trust me the cost of an investigation into your financial affairs which HMRC will bill you for and back date tax that you evaded isn't worth the risk if you start selling in the thousands.

Just cost the income tax into the price you intend to sell this game for.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Not entirely true, if HMRC investigate your game dealer and find a significant sum being spent with you they will cross reference this with your tax return possibly resulting in you being investigated yourself ( a horrible experience, but that is another story!). just keep a record of the losses that you make on all your combined shooting activities.
    Last edited by timbrayford; 26-01-2012 at 20:22.

spot on advice from Axe and Tim.
    Cheers
    Richard

2300 rabbits at 2 each is 4600. Is the tax man going to chase you for that if you sell to several butchers and charge for the time taken to shoot them?
    With that many rabbits you could do a bulk deal with Pedigree Petfoods.

Lucky to get 2 a bunny mate game dealer over here pays a quid but that is whole frozen and don't have to gut which is handy. No butchers round here are bothered I've tried!

I'd need a flippin big freezer to put 2300 bunnies in to sell as a bulk deal, lol!! Can't see them being bothered and spose I could spread the payments between me and mrs but you never know,

Cheers