Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much would you be prepared to pay for stalking....?

How much would you be prepared to pay for stalking....?

Ok, so I have an area of land I on which I manage reds, the land owner ( a statutory body) approached me in the first instance as they wanted someone they knew and could trust on such a public site with so many walkers etc. They issued me with a permit for the first 12 months, and asked for a very nominal fee (supposedly to make it legal, don't know about that, but is was so small I really couldn't care). It has been suggested that when it is due for renewal they may be looking for a more inflated sum, and I was wondering what the value of the stalking would be? On other sites they manage they sell the stalking for 50% of carcass value.

It has several restrictions on it which I would imagine would reduce its value;
    1) access is limited to certain areas during bird breeding season to avoid disturbance,
    2) I am the only person premitted to have a firearm on the site,
    3) no subletting or accompanied stalks to let etc.

The area in total is probably in the region of 100 acres give or take, but there is a substantial herd of Reds on the site (circa 60 resident) plus roe and munties.
    Don't get me wrong, I know there are people out there who would give their right arm for some of these reds, and I know I am lucky to have it but we all have our budget!
    Any suggestions.......

some what confused by the question,

are you asking us to value what you have thus justify the amount paid

or

are you asking what you can charge for accompanied stalk using your rifle

f,

definitely not the latter, i'm not able to nor would I really want to take other people out (at least not commercially), I just have no idea what it would be worth as I think the land owner is going to come to me and ask what I think it is worth. If they did want for example 50% of carcass value, I dont think I could justify doing it as it isn't on my doorstep.

Deerstalker , I supose the question you should ask is what it is worth to you ? you have listed the minus points of the land, but what about the plus points . How many do you cull this season ? Did you keep the venison money ? and there must be some big stags on your cull plan .The problem you have if your not prepared to pay the new fee , there will allways be another who will .

Chill

North of the boarder 5/600 acers is worth over 2000 but that is for a syndicate of 6 or so. Around 3 per acer but I understand south its worth much more

Quote Originally Posted by chill123 View Post
    Deerstalker , I supose the question you should ask is what it is worth to you ? you have listed the minus points of the land, but what about the plus points . How many do you cull this season ? Did you keep the venison money ? and there must be some big stags on your cull plan .The problem you have if your not prepared to pay the new fee , there will allways be another who will .

Chill
    Very valid points, although given some of the sensitivites of the site I think they would be rather cautious of letting to people they didn't know (I have known the site manager for several years which was why he asked me). That said, I know there would be a queue of people with deeper pockets than my own who would gladly cough up for it. I guess I'm just interested to know what the going rate is for this kind of thing, at least that way I can brace myself and start saving up the pennies for when the time comes.....As for the stags, there are a few, but to be honest with 2 exceptions I've left the big boys well alone, prickets and hinds to try and get numbers down are the main target for me. At the moment I am keeping/selling what I'm shooting so it is bringing in an income, but its not without the work, and there is a hefty fuel bill for each carcass.

F

I think that he means that he cant take any body else out on the ground it is just for deerstalker to use and he is worried that if they go out to tender he may lose it as he is not sure about the tender issue but D S if you go down the route of the FC they give a guide of a cull figure and then out a tag of say 100-120 per beast times that for you cull figure and you wont be far out if they approached you the first time why not have a meeting with them and see what they would be looking for

ATB Paul D

I would gladly pay any sum that could be made back or mostly back through venison sales on such a compact mixed species ground, obviously within reason!

Thanks Paul, I was planning on meeting with them to discuss, but thought I would be better set if I had an idea what the going rate was before hand, I don't doubt they will be reasonable, and equally I don't want to seem to be taking the piss.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckbones View Post
    North of the boarder 5/600 acers is worth over 2000 but that is for a syndicate of 6 or so. Around 3 per acer but I understand south its worth much more
    there is also a saying north of the border,

are you smoking it or injecting it

f,