Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sako A1 .222 favourite ammo?

Question Sako A1 .222 favourite ammo?

Dear all,

I have placed a deposit (it should be with me in less than a fortnight) on a Sako A1 .222 and am wondering what to buy to feed it with. I aim to reload for it.

I may be perverse but I did not want a .223, and the 22-250 is a bit barky for what I want, so settled on the .222.

It will be used mainly for fox, crows and the occassional rabbit, although I do have a condition to shoot muntjac with it too.

As yet I have no idea of the twist rate of the barrel. I have read quite a bit about the .222, and they seem to favour 50gr to 55gr bullets, or so the writers claim.

So if anyone has experience of reloading for the A1 I would be immensely grateful to know what you use.

Yours hopefully, Simon

Mine likes federal power shok 50grn. Get cracking groupings with them, drop Roe, fox no problem. Got some federal brass if your interested when you start reloading. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fifestalker25 View Post
    Mine likes federal power shok 50grn. Get cracking groupings with them, drop Roe, fox no problem. Got some federal brass if your interested when you start reloading. Thanks
    Fifestalker, many thanks for the offer of some brass. I have been given a Lee Reloader kit in .222, but will buy some dies at some time in the future. I will try some federal powershok 50gr's if I can get some to start with. It seems a good starting place thank you!

Everyone seems to use V-max but I have wondered about other makes of bullet, and their effectivness. I look forward to finding out

Simon

most 222's are a 1 in 14 twist simon. so anything from 40 grain up to 55 grain bullets should shoot in it. i use to use 40 grain blizkings in my 222 and they where spot on accurate.
    a good bullet also for the 222 is the speer tnt 50 grain hollow point.

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    most 222's are a 1 in 14 twist simon. so anything from 40 grain up to 55 grain bullets should shoot in it. i use to use 40 grain blizkings in my 222 and they where spot on accurate.
    a good bullet also for the 222 is the speer tnt 50 grain hollow point.
    Cheers Jay, people keep telling me good things about Speer.

I have just been given some 150gr Grand Slams in .308 to try. I think Andrew Banner stocks Speers doesn't he? I need to go and get some small rifle primers so I better pop in and see him and see if he has some TNT's.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by flytie View Post
    Cheers Jay, people keep telling me good things about Speer.

I have just been given some 150gr Grand Slams in .308 to try. I think Andrew Banner stocks Speers doesn't he? I need to go and get some small rifle primers so I better pop in and see him and see if he has some TNT's.

Simon
    yes mate he stocks speer. they are good bullets and if i remember right there great also because they are fair bit cheaper then the blizkings. i did read somewhere they where designed for the 222

maybe ideal on the fox and munty also if you want to stick to one bullet. i sured cc1 br primers and reloader 7 as it gives good fps and being a fast burning powder ideal for shorter barrels

i have a Sako Riihmakki 222 which i understand is the predecessor of the L461,
    its about 50 years old but in lovely condition, strangely it has a 1-16 twist which means it wont stabalise anything heavier than 40gn bullets however this is no problem as i can cloverleaf 5 shots at 100yds,
    i use 40gn Blitzkings with R7 or 40gn V-MAX with N110,
    ive taken rabbits and Foxes out to 300yds and wouldnt be without it,
    its a superb calibre

Quote Originally Posted by jonty h View Post
    i have a Sako Riihmakki 222 which i understand is the predecessor of the L461,
    its about 50 years old but in lovely condition, strangely it has a 1-16 twist which means it wont stabalise anything heavier than 40gn bullets however this is no problem as i can cloverleaf 5 shots at 100yds,
    i use 40gn Blitzkings with R7 or 40gn V-MAX with N110,
    ive taken rabbits and Foxes out to 300yds and wouldnt be without it,
    its a superb calibre
    Thanks Jonty, Reloader 7 seems to be popular from what I have read, and from you and Jay too.

I suppose I better wait and see what twist it is when it gets to its new home, before bulk buying anything.

Simon

Hi Simon,
    Im using 50gr Vmax and R7 in my lowly Tikka and it shoots very well. The 55gr didnt group anywhere near as well and I think it is a 1-14"
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
    Another 7mm08 shooter!

Quote Originally Posted by bk View Post
    Hi Simon,
    Im using 50gr Vmax and R7 in my lowly Tikka and it shoots very well. The 55gr didnt group anywhere near as well and I think it is a 1-14"
    BK, nothing lowly about Tikka's, especially the 590/595 type! I have yet to find one that didn't shoot.

I think the 50gr to 52gr are about spot on from what I read, but there is a guy in the shooting club I belong to who uses 45gr bullets and pushes them to well above book maximums, or so he says But there is always one who has to do that!

With my lamping outfit I think 200yds will be about my maximum and the 50gr/52gr bullets should serve me well. I am tempted to try some flat bottomed bullets rather than boat tails after talking ballistic bullocks with a friend. Who knows if we will be right? But it will be interesting finding out.

It has taken me much longer than normal to type this reply as your pneumatic young lady is very distracting

Simon