Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Phone or android touch screen phone typing with gloves on!!!

I Phone or android touch screen phone typing with gloves on!!!

Maybe this will be totally useless info for most people, but this is handy for me.

I have got an HTC Desire android phone with a touch screen. When you are wearing gloves the screen does not pick up that you are trying to type. I am sure this would also be the same for the I Phone and the like.

I was sat in the woods yesterday waiting to see what was knocking over my pheasant feeders and emptying them, I was in 1 highseat and my mate was in the other about 200 yards away, he was just sat with air rifle trying to nail a few squirrels for me. He sent me a text me to say a muntjac doe was coming my way, not that I was able to read the text immediately.

As I had the gloves on I could not unlock my phone to read the text, when I finally thought I will just pull my glove off quick to unlock, read the message and then put glove back on, the said muntjac comes past the highseat, no more than 15 yards in front. She did not see me moving so I could have easily shot her, but she lived to die another day. As I am expecting some foreign friends over soon that have not shot a muntjac I am leaving them alone for the time being.

My brother is a fountain of knowledge and also has the same phone as me, he said that the screen picks up magnetic pulses from your skin which when you are wearing a glove interrupts the pulse, (or something like that, he is a doctor and speaks in jargon most of the day!!). Knowing that I cut a small piece off a flexible fridge magnet no more than 2mm square, I then pushed this down into my index finger glove. Hey presto I am now able to type without removing my glove.

I hope some of you also find this handy.

Cheers

Ross

edit: Sorry, this is for an iPhone! not sure about an Andriod!

Will the magnet not interfer with the iphone? I was always told to keep magnets away from electronic devices!

One thing which may help you out, if you go into:

Settings / Notifications / Messages / Select Alerts and enable Show preview and view in lock screen you can see your messages on the main locked screen without unlocking the device!
    Last edited by Jonher; 27-01-2012 at 13:09.
    Jonathan

My Hunting Blog: click here

Quote Originally Posted by Jonher View Post
    edit: Sorry, this is for an iPhone! not sure about an Andriod!

Will the magnet not interfer with the iphone? I was always told to keep magnets away from electronic devices!

One thing which may help you out, if you go into:

Settings / Notifications / Messages / Select Alerts and enable Show preview and view in lock screen you can see your messages on the main locked screen without unlocking the device!
    For my HTC this works, I have not tried with a I Phone, the magnet is so low powered I would not imagine it would have a detrimental effect.

Cheers

Ross

OK, Geek-Time, smart phones use solid state storage which does not use magnetic transfer to store data, this means that a low powered magnet like that from a fridge shouldn't cause them any harm whatsoever. Magnets are only a worry near things like computers as they do use magnetic storage and you could potentially loose all your data if a magnet is placed near your PC. This has happened in the past with people sticking fridge magnets all over their PC tower and then wondering why all their information disappears!

You can buy touch screen gloves from play.com

If I`m just opening my screen to see who`s texting me I use my nose

I only do this while I`m out shooting with gloves on

Quote Originally Posted by dc5 View Post

Haha I do the same good at texting with said snout as well lol

I wear the windstopper gloves with the leather palms from Harkila and can open and type on my IPhone4 no problem, wasn't as easy on the IPhone3, not geeky enough to know if they done anything with the sensitivity when they upgraded the phone to the newer version.

Moose

Quote Originally Posted by dc5 View Post

I wish my nose was as big as yours...............not!!!!!!

The gloves from play.com I am sure will not be as good or waterproof as my sealskinz.

Cheers

Ross

Smart Phones and Stalking?!
    I prefer the peace and quiet, yes carry a mobile for emergency's but please leave your Roe Doe, Bullet Drop & Squirrel Apps at home.

Well thats my feelings.

I often wear MacWet gloves when I am stalking and have found that they can make using the touch screen on my HTC Desire S more difficult. Normally a firmer press on the screen will register and allow me to unlock it and dial etc.