Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 x 55 allrounder??

6.5 x 55 allrounder??

Ok, I will try and be brief!! Here is my current situation- I have a blaser, shoot .243 70gr for fox (which i love) then use .308 barrel when go out stalking. I do quite a bit of keepering and often run into anything from fox to large fallow. What im thinking of is one calibre to cover this range, I like the idea of the one rifle i carry round for everything. Yes, i hear you say my .243 will do the job, but there have been some limited occassions where i have lost some big fallow bucks into a neighbouring forest (Which i dont have permission to stalk in). I dont want to get into the legalities of this right now, but I would just feel more 'comfortable' with something around the 120gr mark for the bigger fallow. My main question would be would i feel disadvantaged on the foxing front with the 6.5 x55.? Most of my shots are small paddocks to 200 yards max. Its not like i would be consistantly taking on 250-300 yard shots.

Use 123grain sakos in your .308 ive droped some big fallow with them

Agreed. But i dont have fox on my ticket for .308 use. I.e. Im not supposed to take it out lamping, according to my FEO! Looking for a fox/deer calibre as put on my ticket.

Go back to your FLO and get fox put on the .308!!

Dave

If you are looking to Minimise runners in the real world I don’t think going from a 100gn bullet to 120gn bullet is going to help you too much, the 6.5X55 is only one step above the 243 in terms of power. The answer is to place you bullets more carefully, or go well bigger, 308??? that you have, or bigger and use very destructive bullets though both shoulders.

308 for fox should not be a problem, even if it is only while stalking on your FC.

ATB

Tahr

Just got a 6.5 x 55 using 140, 120 and will be loading 85 grn for foxing shortly. all in one rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Boarboy View Post
    Agreed. But i dont have fox on my ticket for .308 use. I.e. Im not supposed to take it out lamping, according to my FEO! Looking for a fox/deer calibre as put on my ticket.
    if you do quite a bit of keepering then i would certainly request fox on the .308 not for lamping so much but what if his knibbs comes along when stalking ,apart from 22/250 i have 3 c/f's with deer /fox including 308 like you do a bit of keepering
    regards norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    if you do quite a bit of keepering then i would certainly request fox on the .308 not for lamping so much but what if his knibbs comes along when stalking ,apart from 22/250 i have 3 c/f's with deer /fox including 308 like you do a bit of keepering
    regards norma
    Ok. My FEO said i am more than in my rights to shoot a fox whilst out on my rounds with the .308, but couldnt 'actively' go looking for them, i.e. go night shooting/lamping with it. My 'problem' is, although the blaser barrels are quick to change, I will go lamping in the evening with the .243, then head out to feed pheasants in morning, and change to the 308 barrel before loading in the truck, make sure ive picked up the right ammo when im knackered from the night before! its still a bit of a nuisance.

25-06 with 117 grain

Boarboy, I don't know why, instead of answering your question as to whether the 6.5x55 will meets your needs, so many people feel obliged to recommed some other cartridge you didn't ask about. The answer is a simple yes, the 6.5x55 would meet your needs admirably. As you are concerned about the larger fallow, I would suggest you use 139/140gr bullets for everything. The 6.5x55 is mild recoiling and have a flat enough trajectory for your 200 yard shots. If you zero to be, say, 1.5 inches high at 100 yards, your should be spot on for around 180 yards and only a touch low at 200 yards. (I haven't calculated the trajectory but could do so.) Of course, as others have said, the bullet has to be put in the right place. But you know that.

-JMS