Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: subsonic............

subsonic............

hah,so far so good just tried the subsonic load for my .308,,,,omg what a difference,fired first bullet with out silencer just to be sure there was no baffle strike,then with silencer,jesus it is quiet,will test accuracy tomoz,,will keep u updated,,,,this is the load on hogdons site.

what load?
    fast and small?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    what load?
    fast and small?
    no,min big bullet wee charge,,,sounds dangerous but its on the hogdon website so it will be ok,,,well its ok in my set up,my load is 165 nosler ballistic tip,MAGNUM primer,so to get an even burn of the tiny load of powder,and 8 grains of hogdon TIGHTGROUP,NO MORE,NO LESS,the bullet is apperently doing app 1050 on exit at the muzzle,i WILL test this tomorrow,the cartridge shows no warnings and the neck formed well with no signs of gas escaping,also on checking the barrel a relatively clean example showed,v happy,it is obviously a close range load,but i believe it to be interesting to say the least....will do numerous tests soon,expansion,tradjectory accuracy.

interesting
    I assumed to get the seal you had to have snappy loads

hmmm,dont know about that just that i have in the past had numerous loading curves of learning,one of which was cases that were not expanding enough to lock the gasses from escaping farther down the neck,but this,presumably it is the powder, the case comes from the breach very clean,,nickle cases,,,OOH AND BY THE WAY I CANNOT SAY WHETHER THIS WILL WORK IN ANY ONE ELSES RIFLE,,so dont try. yes but it seems good but i will know more tomorrow,it is quite alarming to look in the case to see the tiny amount of powder,the first round i fired outside my house at a soft peatie bank about 50 meteres away,on examining the strike it left a mark app 15 inch long with the normal expanded strike,it looks good??! we will see.seriously quiet!!!

well done. i will be intersted on the expansion and energy produced. while i like the idea of quiet i much prefer the idea of dead quickly

That'll be an interesting trajectory, about the same as a .22LR, maybe slightly less pronounced drop as it should carry the velocity better.

Still pushing out just over 400 ft.lb too.

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    well done. i will be intersted on the expansion and energy produced. while i like the idea of quiet i much prefer the idea of dead quickly

I echo the above comment and look forward to hearing how you get on with future testing, you are now being used a the proverbial "guinea pig" sorry for that, but then again you fired up our interest in such loads good luck and keep us posted

Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    projectile placement.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG white hunter View Post
    no,min big bullet wee charge,,,sounds dangerous but its on the hogdon website so it will be ok,,,well its ok in my set up,my load is 165 nosler ballistic tip,MAGNUM primer,so to get an even burn of the tiny load of powder,and 8 grains of hogdon TIGHTGROUP,NO MORE,NO LESS,the bullet is apperently doing app 1050 on exit at the muzzle,i WILL test this tomorrow,the cartridge shows no warnings and the neck formed well with no signs of gas escaping,also on checking the barrel a relatively clean example showed,v happy,it is obviously a close range load,but i believe it to be interesting to say the least....will do numerous tests soon,expansion,tradjectory accuracy.
    The starting load for that powder and bullet is 7.0 grains so you do have some latitude in that direction, at least. The magnum primer is not necessary with this powder (for the reason you state, tho it might give the best accuracy) and the volume ( .6 CC?) of this fast burning powder and while not operating at top pressures, it does generate almost 30K PSI pressures.

I spent some time working with the 300 Whisper heavy bullet sub sonic loads in a 1-8" twist rifle. I have also done much work with reduced loads in standard sporting rifles having standard twists. I'm going to be interested in reading of your accuracy at longer ranges. What is the twist of your barrel??~Muir

PS: Looked up my earlier data with a 168 at 1080fps and it shows a mid range trajectory of 3.8 inches for a 100 yard zero. At 100 yards it kept it's speed just over 1000 fps with a remaining energy of 395 ft/pounds.
    Last edited by Muir; 28-01-2012 at 14:25.