Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead puppy...who is to blame?

Dead puppy...who is to blame?

Three weeks ago I sold a GWP bitch puppy to a woman who had previous GWP experience and seemed competent to own a dog. The puppy was in good health, fully wormed and had it's first vaccination. They had been vet checked from day one as my wife is a vet. I would not have sold a dog with a known fault.

This evening we have come home to an answering machine massage from the new owner who says that the pup was at her vets being operated on for an intussusception. This is set to cost her 500+. On getting back to her she has had the pup put to sleep on the ground that she couldn't afford the bill and it will now cost her 200 but she has lost the pup and is now demanding a refund for the pup and some of the vet work.

An intussusception is telescoping of the gut, so one piece slides inside the other. This can be caused by inflammation of the gut be it viral, bacterial or parasitic (the pup was fully wormed with Drontal puppy liquid when it left us).

This puppy was one of 13 and no other puppy has any signs of any ill health. All are with new homes and are doing well.

I would be grateful to hear your opinions on my actions regarding whether I should give a refund and how I should handle the situation. I don't want to be unfair to the woman but I cant see how this is my fault.

Sam

Sam,

Very interesting thread, i think you will get many answers.

Mine is and will be based on if i where you sam.

I would ask the owner if the puppy was insured, then i would ask if the pup had shown signs of distress prior to today, i would then ask if the house is shared with other animals and if so what.

reasons,

insurance, if she is insured she will be out only her excess
    this illness takes a few days to cause as serious an illness/infection to mean death and therefore the animal would be in some pain and not eating
    other animals, obvious this infection didn't come from you so where has the pup been and to whom has the dog been in contact with

personally if it where i, i would offer half the excess or half the pup costs as only a good will gesture if your happy with the above.

i dont see how you will or could have a legal responsibility to do anything. 3 weeks is a long time.

good luck and sorry to hear the news,

F,

i wouldn't refund , looks like you did everything correctly and the pup is no longer your responsibility

You sold it good faith, she bought it in good faith. End off.

Unless you knowingly sold her a "pup" you owe her nothing.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Did you not give the new owner any free insurance cover , I know that whenever I sell a puppy that I always activate the 4 week free insurance cover provided with the
    Kennel Club registration . If your pups are not KC registered then there are still free insurance available through pet insurers such as Petplan Breeders Scheme .
    I also request that new owners take their pup to the vet that they intend to use for its first vaccination and a health check within the first week of ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by sam evans View Post
    Three weeks ago I sold a GWP bitch puppy to a woman who had previous GWP experience and seemed competent to own a dog. The puppy was in good health, fully wormed and had it's first vaccination. They had been vet checked from day one as my wife is a vet. I would not have sold a dog with a known fault.

This evening we have come home to an answering machine massage from the new owner who says that the pup was at her vets being operated on for an intussusception. This is set to cost her 500+. On getting back to her she has had the pup put to sleep on the ground that she couldn't afford the bill and it will now cost her 200 but she has lost the pup and is now demanding a refund for the pup and some of the vet work.

An intussusception is telescoping of the gut, so one piece slides inside the other. This can be caused by inflammation of the gut be it viral, bacterial or parasitic (the pup was fully wormed with Drontal puppy liquid when it left us).

This puppy was one of 13 and no other puppy has any signs of any ill health. All are with new homes and are doing well.

I would be grateful to hear your opinions on my actions regarding whether I should give a refund and how I should handle the situation. I don't want to be unfair to the woman but I cant see how this is my fault.

Sam
    Was the pup kc registered buddy? Also it's a hard one really I can see it from both sides really if I brought a pup and a few weeks it was in the vets would probably not be happy ,but from a breeders point of view it's not your fault she could not afford the vets bills she should have had said pup insured and the reason pup was put down was because she could not afford the fees now that's certainly not your fault I would say sorry but I'm not giving a refund on those grounds, if it was insured and they tried all they could to save the pup and it died I would maybe come to some arrangement maybe would have offered 50% as a good will gesture

if these pups were kc reg the kc automatically give new owners 4 weeks free insurance on completion of owner transfer, if not then as said above I wouls want to know what circumstances surrounded the pup since leaving you, its a sad fact that these things happen and would hate to hear of any of my pups dying shortly after rehoming. I would offer as a gesture of good will to them half the cost of the euthenasia bill but would not be willing to refund the full cost of the pup, its a major risk to take when you buy a pup and they should be well aware of it, you did all the right things in rearing, vaccinating etc so have done nothing wrong nor take any blame.
    I would suggest you offer your sincere apologies on their bad luck and some good will gesture.
    Good Luck

Account Suspended
    Three weeks... no prior mention of health issues? no suggestion of deterioration or concern from the new owner, till now?

Do you feel in any way at fault or to blame?

Do you sell puppies by way of business or just as an occasional consequence of breeding for your own needs?

i.e. Have you any business good will to try and protect?

TBH I wouldn't sell to any one who didn't have the means to pay a 500 vets bill or have the sense to insure.

That doesn't help you, in your own heart know wheather or not you sold in good faith, if the answer is you did then dont give her a penny. If there is the slightest doubt give her her money back

Dave

I don't know much about dogs or selling puppies but if you are selling 13 puppies at x a time then I am sure you made enough money . Selling items or livestock you would always expect to account for a return/mortality rate that would reduce you overall profitability when selling large quantities. How much did you make selling the puppies? On the other hand I do agree with the above post that if the puppy was that valuable to her she should have had it insured from day one of her ownership. Perhaps a good will payment would be appropriate.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest