Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: photocopies

photocopies

sure ive seen the answer somewhere on here before and ought to already no! but when out shooting can you carry photocopies off certs an permissions or does it hav to b the real deal

I believe that the law is unclear about this but they are better carried than nothing. I have copies in the car and I have also photographed my FAC and SGC into my mobile phone so they can be clearly seen by the police if necessary.
    TonyC

thats a good idea mate gives me an exuse to get a new phone!

I recently had to photocopy my Cert, all high tech now as repeated all over the coppy are the words Illegal Photocopy

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

Photocopies have no legal standing but IMO better to carry them rather than nothing at all

There's nothing in law that says you have to carry any version of your certificate. The only problem might be that if plod stops you and you don't have it, they may choose to seize the weapons until you can prove you are correctly licenced. Photocopies allow you to show them the certs without having to carry them everywhere and risk losing them/damaging them.

Ive just moved and changed police force, my new issuing authority are happy for me to continue stalking and to carry a photocopy of my old FAC whilst the new one is issued (that have taken the old one and sent it to the old issuing authority). I usually always carry a copy whilst stalking as i was approached quite a few years ago by a couple of lads who wanted to see my ticket. I told them i didn't have it and they disappeared. Had they nicked my FAC i would have been in all kinds of trouble. Its never happened since and was clearly an isolated incident but I'm not taking any chances.

Hiya, My daughter works in a lawyers office, and I got her to get one of the lawyers to do a "notorised" copy of both my certs for me. Thats what I carry with me...I dont know if they are good to buy ammo, but are def enough for a police officer doing a check on me......so the lawyer told me..

Quote Originally Posted by Norrie1956 View Post
    Hiya, My daughter works in a lawyers office, and I got her to get one of the lawyers to do a "notorised" copy of both my certs for me. Thats what I carry with me...I dont know if they are good to buy ammo, but are def enough for a police officer doing a check on me......so the lawyer told me..
    Hi Norrie,
    I hope you haven't paid the Lawyer! lol
    I'm afraid that the police would not be interested in anything other than the genuine article.
    Instantly, via their personal radio, the police can confirm all the relevant details including makes, serial numbers and details and amounts of ammo and also details of your permission and any conditions attached to your Certificate.
    I was slightly bemused at some of the comments on the other thread running regarding declaring to police if you have Firearms in your vehicle.
    We are living in an age where it is very much a case of "computer says no" or if your lucky, it says "yes"

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    There's nothing in law that says you have to carry any version of your certificate. The only problem might be that if plod stops you and you don't have it, they may choose to seize the weapons until you can prove you are correctly licenced. Photocopies allow you to show them the certs without having to carry them everywhere and risk losing them/damaging them.
    You are obviously correct here in relation to sec 48 Firearms Act 1968 but as a point of debate what about sec 19 bearing in mind that the inside of your vehicle can be classed as a public place whilst it is in a public place. Sec 19 states that A person commits an offence, if without lawful authority or reasonable excuse(the proof thereon lies on him) he has in a public place
    a) a loaded shotgun
    b) An air weapon (whether loaded or not)
    c) Any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm
    d) An imitation Firearm

I would hope you would not have a loaded shotgun in your vehicle but what about "any other firearm etc" Would "it's alright officer I'm just off out for a roe" be enough for a reasonable excuse or would you need the possession of the Lawful Authority of your FAC. (the proof thereon lies on him).
    Last edited by Gazza; 28-01-2012 at 14:51.