Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunting/companion dog?

Hunting/companion dog?

Sometime this sumer I would like to buy a small, 10-20lbs or so, hunting/companion dog. I am looking for something like a Dashund, fiest, rat terrier,&etc. It will mainly be used to help me find downed/wounded game, from birds to pigs and deer. It will be a family/house/outside dog, so I want something that can handle our, relatively mild Texas Hill Country winters, which should be similar to southern England. I won't leave it outside on extremely cold nights, but don't want to worry about it if we're in a deer blind in sub-freezing weather. some have recommended Jack Russels or German Hunt (jadgtd) terriers, but they are to intense. I'm looking for fomething more laid back. I wish that they made a minature lab. What would you suggest? thanks, capt david

Do you have Basenji ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Basenji.JPG  
    Last edited by munsterlander; 28-01-2012 at 17:36.

Definately a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Probably not the first breed one would think of. But, looking closely at your description. So long as you just want a dog to find and not retrieve birds (although they will with enough persuasion) as they are a little hard mouthed. With some consistent training they will track a wounded animal as well as most other dogs. They are fearless and will hold a deer or take on the biggest pig (until you get there to dispatch it). They love to work but are also quite happy lazing around and will sit at the bottom of a high seat. They really are a great family pet and are described as one of the best dogs to have with children by the Kennel Club. They do like their home comforts though so they would probably need a coat out on a cold day if they are still for some time. And you won't get a more laid back dog.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stalkingdog.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	12119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	027.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	12120
    Last edited by Tackleberry270; 29-01-2012 at 14:53.

im with you on this one cadex100 patterdale all the way, correct size/weight the guy wants heart as big as a lion and faithfull enough to enter the gates of hell for you if you ask them to, prob go broken/rough haired to make them happier sat still in the hide.

all the best jimmy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    Patterdale ?

captdavid are you anywhere near to sabinal texas as went pig hunting "texas style" with an outfitter fron there called dan moody and had a blast, lovely people and lovely countryside "just didnt care much for the rattlers !!!!
    all the best
    jimmy
    Quote Originally Posted by captdavid View Post
    Sometime this sumer I would like to buy a small, 10-20lbs or so, hunting/companion dog. I am looking for something like a Dashund, fiest, rat terrier,&etc. It will mainly be used to help me find downed/wounded game, from birds to pigs and deer. It will be a family/house/outside dog, so I want something that can handle our, relatively mild Texas Hill Country winters, which should be similar to southern England. I won't leave it outside on extremely cold nights, but don't want to worry about it if we're in a deer blind in sub-freezing weather. some have recommended Jack Russels or German Hunt (jadgtd) terriers, but they are to intense. I'm looking for fomething more laid back. I wish that they made a minature lab. What would you suggest? thanks, capt david

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00111.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	491.2 KB 
ID:	12124

This is Bolt, a Colly x Lab. A 100% house pet. Will spot deer, scent deer and hear deer for me, will also find deer once shot with little encouragement. Lives indoors, throughout the night, has the run of the back garden throughout the day. Won't bark at a spotted deer, just shakes with excitment.

I mentioned it befoer on here, at a fraction of the cost of these pure bread dogs. He does the job for me. I was told that Collies are gun shy, will not like the bang, I never experienced a problem with this, infact, the opposite, if I fire my rifle/shotgun, Bolt want to find something......

TJ
    Last edited by tartinjock; 29-01-2012 at 11:15.
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex100 View Post
    Patterdale ?
    not really laid back though ! 3 i have had were all fire breathing killing machines, nice dogs, game fiesty but defo not laid back

just my opinion norma308 but i think it depends on the lines
    Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    not really laid back though ! 3 i have had were all fire breathing killing machines, nice dogs, game fiesty but defo not laid back