Hunting/companion dog?

hi couger yeah they are learning the ropes at the moment just starting to work cover
smooth fox terriers charlie the dark face only 6 mths old billy the bigger one 14 mths
is theone i had all the problems with vomiting but i think the vet has solved it
so a bit late but just starting to get them working now atb foxxer

Glad to hear he's doing better now, cracking looking dogs.:thumb:

Thanks, but most of those are too big or headstrong.I'm now considering a rat terrier, any thoughts? thanks capt david

Sporting Lucas terrier (NOT a Lucas terrier) from the Plummer lines.

Cribbed from the piece by Ian McGrother on the Terrier World website:

'A small, stiff coated, sturdy, well boned, strong headed working terrier with a height at the withers of 11”-13” for dogs and 10”-12” for bitches and a weight of 14lb - 18lb for dogs and 11lb - 13lb for bitches. Excellent workers - less aggressive than most terriers so will hunt as a pack if needed, with tremendous noses and will work both above and below ground. They will work a variety of quarry from rats, mink and fox and track wounded deer so they can be humanely dispatched. They are instinctive and willing retrievers of things like partridges and pheasants. They are equally at home as charming, affectionate family pets being especially fond of children.'

I've had all kinds of terriers in my life but this is the only kind I'll have from now on. I got one after having JRT's for years because I got fed up of peeling them off any other canine that got in the way.

Mine is all of the above and more - he'll work cover, track, go to ground and flush foxes, and retrieve - he will also submit to being dressed in dolls clothes by kids and will play with our cat (which doesn't end with the cat being dead). He works extremely well with my deerhound and they can both get to the quarry at the same time without a fight developing.

The only problem is that they are not very common even in this country and so may be extremely difficult to source a good one.

HTH
Knots

Back