Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Precision Moderators

Lawrence Precision Moderators

Has anyone bought a Titanium Moderator, are they worth the extra cost? atb Tim

There all much of a muchness you could say, i go on slim & light.

What concerns me a little is the relative weight of stainless making the rifle very front end heavy and the often reported gas cutting problems with aluminium

Tim
    Worth every penny. I have them on all my rifles, the Aurora is the slimmest with the Nexus/ Nexus compact next and the Eclipse being the largest. If its looks you're after, go for the Aurora, max sound suppression the Eclipse (better than a T8). I personally favour the Nexus, the Nexus compact is a little shorter with extra baffles. I reviewed them on my website a while back and will be updating that with a longer term review soon. Without raving on and getting into a debate over cost etc. I will just say that you won't be disappointed.

HME

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range

Quote Originally Posted by HME View Post
    Tim
    Worth every penny. I have them on all my rifles, the Aurora is the slimmest with the Nexus/ Nexus compact next and the Eclipse being the largest. If its looks you're after, go for the Aurora, max sound suppression the Eclipse (better than a T8). I personally favour the Nexus, the Nexus compact is a little shorter with extra baffles. I reviewed them on my website a while back and will be updating that with a longer term review soon. Without raving on and getting into a debate over cost etc. I will just say that you won't be disappointed.

HME

Welcome to Corinium Rifle Range
    Thanks, I have had an email from Simon Lawrence, for my rifle (Blaser R8) he recommends the Nexus Compact @ 300grams. Although nearly 3 x the price of an aluminium mod with the number of rounds that I fire on the range, especially now that I am doing reloads, I might well burn my way through too many of them.atb Tim

The Atec Maxim is getting close to that weight and not thus far heard of any cutting problems.

However, the Lawrence products I've seen are beautifully engineered and if the budget is there for it, then don to you - I believe they'll deliver everything you say you are looking for.

Only issue I've encountered - and its with Titanium generally, not a slight against Lawrence products is pure down to 'laws of physics' ( please read with Mr Scott of Star Trek accent ) - their thermal properties. Titanium seems to really hold the heat. Absolutely no issue for a couple of shots. But if you tend to use for occasional target bopping, then things get very hot and stay hot. Had one client with a Mauser 03 - after 4 rounds, impact point would drift - traced purely down to barrel heat up. That was with an over barrel design. In scheme of things not really an issue for the client - who was chuffed to bits in all other respects.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I have one on my M03 .308 and while they are expensive, you are looking at a one time buy. Titanium mods are fitted by special forces users to their sniper rifles. Mr Lawrence makes stuff for the MOD.

If I were to buy another rifle I would have another Lawrence mod fitted if I could afford it, you can't say more than that really!

Simon

I have been known to have one T8 fit three different rifles/calibres can this be done with the Lawrence titanium one?

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Quote Originally Posted by JAYB View Post
    I have been known to have one T8 fit three different rifles/calibres can this be done with the Lawrence titanium one?

John
    This is a very good point and something to consider. At some future point I might wish to obtain a .308 with Boar & Sika/Red stags in mind. However there is also the benefit of having something calibre specific which I have been told will work more efficiently and if I can use an estate rifle it will save on the cost of a new rifle,scope, mounts etc. Certainly food for thought. atb Tim

MO
    Thus far I have had exactly the opposite - the titanium disperses heat far quicker than any other mod on the market bar none, most especially the alloy ones, also I have yet to see any shots drifting when they get hot, I have many clients with the LP mods whose groups hold after 12-15 shots, it's only the heat haze that makes a difference. My mods see an average of 250-500 rounds every week so rapid cooling is crucial!

In terms of one mod for several barrels, Simon will accommodate where possible, providing he has the barrels to fit the mod to. The bore of the mod is a bit like the bore of an exhaust, larger - more noise, however if you have a couple of extra baffles fitted it will compensate.

Flytie, glad you took my advise on it, let it not be said "I told you".

HME