Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sika Damage...1 Fox...No Hinds...Great Day To Be Out Though!!!

Sika Damage...1 Fox...No Hinds...Great Day To Be Out Though!!!

Attachment 12098Attachment 12099Attachment 12100

Very frosty this morning and not a breath of wind. Plus, just as 9.30am arrived so did the Taliban! Or at least it sounded like they were here. Last Saturday of the pheasants sounded like every shot in the valley was on my ground. Went on all day and only saw 6 hinds on the skyline offering no shot.

5 mins after arriving, 2 foxes were running across the field towards me. The first one being the vixen never stopped to offer a shot but the dog did!

The weather was stunning but a bit of a breeze would have been nice to carry the shotgun noise away. Good to be out though and the pheasant keeper will be pleased.

Attachment 12102Attachment 12103Attachment 12104Attachment 12105

Thought some who have not stalked sika may be interested in seeing the damage they can cause. Stripping and scoring on hardwoods...

Attachment 12106Attachment 12107Attachment 12108Attachment 12109

This whole area was turned into a big wallow during this years very poor and short rut. Incredibly the trees are still living!!!

Great photos Jamross, thats a big wallow. The bolescoring is serious. Why was your rut poor..the weather?

Quote Originally Posted by JVR.243 View Post
    Great photos Jamross, thats a big wallow. The bolescoring is serious. Why was your rut poor..the weather?
    That's what I am putting it down to. The weather at the start of October was so warm and if the drop is needed to bring hinds in to oestrus and in turn the stags starting to rut then it lasted about 2 weeks!!

I shot a stag one weekend that was stinking and empty, 4 days later the temp was 72! Stags started to group up and some big ones couldn't have cared less they had young stags among their hinds.

Spoke to a few guys I know who stalk in the area and they all seemed to be experiencing similar behaviour.

Great pictures and lovely ground, thank you.

Nice morning i had a guest out sadly we did not connect but saw 18 roe and a scrot from the toon lol who though it would be fun to aproach us at 830 in the morning while we were moveing in on deer.

Great pics jam ,cracking bit of land youve got there .Well done on the fox

hi mate,

is the damage only at the wallow or is there signs everywhere.

nice pictures i will get some lessons from you one day,

f,

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi mate,

is the damage only at the wallow or is there signs everywhere.

nice pictures i will get some lessons from you one day,

f,
    This is probably the most concentrated damage, but if any wood has sika and you look hard enough sooner or later you will find some tree with sign...