Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appling for a FAC

Appling for a FAC

Hi,

i am new to this site and am looking for some help! i have been shooting shotguns from when i can remember and hold my own licence. i am looking to buy my own rifle for deer stalking. i have experience in the area and have been on several paid stalks as well as having been to poland to stalk boar and roe deer.

Please can i have some advice in applying for my own FAC. i am looking to get a .270 win. i do not have the land to warrent a certificate but i am a paying stalker, this should be a " good reason " i am lead to believe. i have the neccessary proof to prove this.

Can i have some words of wisdom on what to put on my application and what not to!

any advice is appreciated!

cheers, tom

It does sound like you have sufficient "good reason" to hold. Someone who is in the same area will be along soon to give you the gen on how good they are.

The form is pretty straight forward. In my experience it is the visiting firearms clerk that can be difficult and will be wanting to hear that you know what you are asking for any why. What are you stuck at? There is no such thing as a silly question (except when it is).

im not stuck on any part. both my referee's hold FAC and one is a sporting agent who i do my stalking with. i just want to make sure i give myself the best chance possible of getting it by asking you guys for any advice and what they are looking for in the interview stage.

thanks for taking the time to look at my post!

It differs enormously from county to county. Being ex forces I moved 3 times and had 3 entirely different experiences from visiting police clerks. In general I would say you need to be sure about what you have asked for and be able to reason why (the specific calibre, quantity of ammo ect). And make sure your gun cabinet is fixed and won't fall of the wall if given a pull !

I have no dealings with your region but I would expect them to ask you why you want a 270 on your ticket when a smaller calibre 243 is a suitable deer rifle, nothing wrong with 270 I shoot one myself and you won't go far wrong with one as it covers all bases, as the saying goes "stick to your guns" but if you are only shooting roe they may query it, if you intend shooting all species I would hope there wouldnt be a problem, all the best with your application, I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
    Crumpy

Quote Originally Posted by shotguntom View Post
    Hi,

i am new to this site and am looking for some help! i have been shooting shotguns from when i can remember and hold my own licence. i am looking to buy my own rifle for deer stalking. i have experience in the area and have been on several paid stalks as well as having been to poland to stalk boar and roe deer.

Please can i have some advice in applying for my own FAC. i am looking to get a .270 win. i do not have the land to warrent a certificate but i am a paying stalker, this should be a " good reason " i am lead to believe. i have the neccessary proof to prove this.

Can i have some words of wisdom on what to put on my application and what not to!

any advice is appreciated!

cheers, tom
    Keep a record of where you have shot previously and any onging bookings for future stalks. As you have already stalked Boar this is why you will need a heavier calibre than .243 and .270 is the minimum recommended by some organisations. It would strengthen your case if you could also join a full bore rifle club, this would give you access to practice and zeroing facilities and an additional good reason to possess your rifle, particularly if you do not have nominated land on which you shoot. atb Tim

thanks for the help so far. i have emails booking etc as proof of my previous stalks, as well as pictures. i can also provide phone numbers of people who have taken me out. will this be enough proof? yea my thinking towards the .270 was that i can use it for boar ( which i did in poland ) as well as hill stag stalking as i would love to get up to scotland but then its not to big for roe, etc. what quantity of ammo should i be looking to put in my application?

This is a document written by BASC to advise on FAC applications, it may be of use.

http://www.basc.org.uk/download.cfm/...1B486DEB7A38C2

Quote Originally Posted by shotguntom View Post
    thanks for the help so far. i have emails booking etc as proof of my previous stalks, as well as pictures. i can also provide phone numbers of people who have taken me out. will this be enough proof? yea my thinking towards the .270 was that i can use it for boar ( which i did in poland ) as well as hill stag stalking as i would love to get up to scotland but then its not to big for roe, etc. what quantity of ammo should i be looking to put in my application?
    Quantities to possess 750 & purchase 500 including "Expandable Missiles". atb Tim