Thread: Wilson dies

Wilson dies

Does anyone use wilson dies ? if so how do you find they perform ? i load for hornet ,.25-06 and ,.308 for sporting use and get good groups on all with lee dies and turret press but i have started using the .25 at longer ranges on vermin and paper and am looking for a bit better accuracy at range.I thought about using wilson dies in a press (that i already have) rather that upgrading everything,my original thoughts were rockchucker and redding dies but if the wilson dies work ok it would be a cheaper option as its only for the .25 that i am looking for improvement as i am more than happy with the hornet and .308 as they are now !
    If anyone uses wilson dies in a long case .25/270/30-06 if you could let me know the overall length when set up for the seating die with or without mic head it would help

I have several sets of Wilson dies and they are good, but no magic road to improved accuracy. How good, or bad, are your groups now? From what kind of rifle?~Muir.
    PS: I'd ditch the turret press for accuracy loading, right off. Then I'd worry about dies if that didn't help.
    Last edited by Muir; 29-01-2012 at 15:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I have several sets of Wilson dies and they are good, but no magic road to improved accuracy. How good, or bad, are your groups now? From what kind of rifle?~Muir.
    PS: I'd ditch the turret press for accuracy loading, right off. Then I'd worry about dies if that didn't help.
    thanks muir
    im not looking for any magic cure i shoot a tikka t3 .25 and am getting clover leafs if i do my bit at about 100 yds and that opens out to about 2" at 300yds all depends on me on the day ,you have confirmed my thoughts about the turret but it produces acceptable results with VERY little effort changing calibres for the 3 rifles ,hornet (1974 brno) dies are set up as per your recommendations and definitely wants to remain as is ! 3/4" at 100 yds any day of the week and .308( parker hale 1000 ltwt)stalking rifle is about as good as i can get or expect at around 1" at 100 yds .Its just I fancy trying to improve the .25 and being honest "IM A MESSER" ! ive just restocked the tikka and pillar bedded it and just want to see just what i can get it doing without spending too much .

Glyn, Wilson dies will probably give you better accuracy then Lee dies in a turret press but they only work with an arbour press as they are not threaded for a standard press.
    Loads for my 22BR, 22-250 AI and 257 improved are all put together on wilson style dies.
    I say wilson style because they are home made dies cut with the same reamer used to chamber my rifles.
    IMO the key to getting improved repeatable accuracy (apart from good loading technique) at longer range is consistant velocities and reduced spreads.
    This is achieved with very accurately measured powder charges, matched case capacities and consistant neck tension.
    Quality brass and bushing style dies such as the wilson will help you achieve consistant neck tension. Weight and volume sorting the cases together with individual weighed charges of powder will help equalise velocities and reduce spreads.
    Reading the wind, accurately gauging the distance and conditions together with accurate handloads and the guy steering the rifle all combine to place the shots where you want them at range.

Ian.

It's hard to beat cloverleafs at 100! See if you can lay your hands on a single stage press to try your dies in and see if that improves accuracy.

I know that there is a "lock n load" thing going on in the shooting world but I'm old enough to think that screwing a die in and out of a press isn't that big of a chore. That's why they come with locking rings! I have one turret press, an ancient and sturdy 6-hole Lyman. I leave it set up for 38 Special/357 Magnum pistol cartridges because of the volume of loading I do in those calibers. Otherwise, the dies go in and out of my RCBS or Lee single stage press. Now, the single stage, with the lock-n-load feature seems to be a good thing with me. If there is a bit of play in the insert, the die and the case should always self-center. This is the premise behind the accuracy of the Bonanza/Forrester Co-axial press. I need to pick up a Lee "O" style press and see if it really works that way.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Glyn, Wilson dies will probably give you better accuracy then Lee dies in a turret press but they only work with an arbour press as they are not threaded for a standard press.
    Loads for my 22BR, 22-250 AI and 257 improved are all put together on wilson style dies.
    I say wilson style because they are home made dies cut with the same reamer used to chamber my rifles.
    IMO the key to getting improved repeatable accuracy (apart from good loading technique) at longer range is consistant velocities and reduced spreads.
    This is achieved with very accurately measured powder charges, matched case capacities and consistant neck tension.
    Quality brass and bushing style dies such as the wilson will help you achieve consistant neck tension. Weight and volume sorting the cases together with individual weighed charges of powder will help equalise velocities and reduce spreads.
    Reading the wind, accurately gauging the distance and conditions together with accurate handloads and the guy steering the rifle all combine to place the shots where you want them at range.

Ian.
    ian thats the road i want to head down now which is why i thought about wilson dies as i understand that with their neck bushing system it increases neck accuracy and concentricity (spelling) i have already started to batch cases and can definitely see its advantage .As i say its just for the 25 as the stalking rifle is more than good enough for me ! reading the wind is getting better SLOWLY, i think i am getting it right then i get a day i am WAY OUT ! ranging is ok for the distances i am too now , i use a finder. Its just another side to the hobby that im enjoying

Glyn,
    you can get bushing dies for standard 7/8" threaded press's but you then have to take into account the posibility of concentricity issues between the thread and the bore of the die, the alignment of the ram and the bore of the press and location of the shell holder in the ram.
    Thats three points that have to be aligned to provide concentric ammo
    This is all elliminated with wilson inline dies, no shell holder no ram, no alignment issues, just a concentric bore.

Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Glyn,
    you can get bushing dies for standard 7/8" threaded press's but you then have to take into account the posibility of concentricity issues between the thread and the bore of the die, the alignment of the ram and the bore of the press and location of the shell holder in the ram.
    Thats three points that have to be aligned to provide concentric ammo
    This is all elliminated with wilson inline dies, no shell holder no ram, no alignment issues, just a concentric bore.

Ian.
    thanks ian
    so for once i am on the right lines then thats a change , think i will give them a go .

Quote Originally Posted by glyn View Post
    thanks ian
    so for once i am on the right lines then thats a change , think i will give them a go .
    Nice one, they are also very portable the whole lot can be set up on any flat surface, even the tail gate of a pick up.

Ian.