Thread: Strange Looking Uterus

Strange Looking Uterus

Had a Danish friend over for a stalk this morning, came across a group of 7 Roe and he shot a 2 - 3 year old Doe from the group. When it came to the gralloch the uterus looked normal but with these 2 additional 'horns'. Could the esteemed members shed some light on this anomaly, I have shot a fair few deer but never seen this before?

Thanks in advance for any replies?

Tom
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

Hard to figure out the orientation of the uterus, but they are certainly not 'extra horns'. They appear to be fluid filled cysts, either tapeworm cysts or ovarian cysts.

Yeah certainly not additional horns but not normal. Don't think they were worm cysts as they were entirely empty, just fluid filled sacks?

Ectopic pregnancies?

I'm supposing that the two protuberances to the left of shot are the fallopian tubes? The two sacks could be ova that have implanted in completely the wrong place.

I have seen ectopic pregnancies in sheep very rarely, so could be possible. How do the cystic structures attach to the uterus? Any sign of a conceptus?

Other option would be a cystic ovarian structure with a possible adhesion to the uterus.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

The more I look at the picture the more I wonder if this is normal. Is the OP 100% sure there is no damage to the uterus caused during the gralloch?

I suspect the doe was early pregnant and a small 'knick' was made in the uterus causing the turgid foetal membranes to partially escape through the defect.

Conceptus could still be in the uterine body.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    The more I look at the picture the more I wonder if this is normal. Is the OP 100% sure there is no damage to the uterus caused during the gralloch?

I suspect the doe was early pregnant and a small 'knick' was made in the uterus causing the turgid foetal membranes to partially escape through the defect.

Conceptus could still be in the uterine body.
    +1

Now that's an interesting take and I think it is an excellent explanation

Curiously, I gralloched a red today and nicked the uterus as I was getting it out - it then exactly resembled tjwaines picture. Nice thinking Apache

Cant be sure I didn't nick or tear anything during the gralloch, obviously its a wee bit late to check now! The 2 foetus were seemingly intact if I remember rightly, it was noticed as I was checking the gralloch so any damage as it was brought out of the body cavity would have gone un-noticed. Thanks for the replies lads, seems this could be the answer though!

Tom