Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Left handed rifle

Left handed rifle

I'm in the market for a proper left handed rifle. I want it primarily for stalking. Probably looking at a 308, but that's not set in stone.

Price isn't too much of a concern. If I can stay away from the top end, all the better, as I won't use it as much as some would.

So far I'm considering: Remington 700 CDL, Savage 11 or 16, Ruger Scout or M77, Blaser, HS precision, Winchester model 70 (I don't think they make these anymore)

Any opinions on what would be best to go for, or first hand experience would be great. At the moment I have a stainless synthetic Remington 700, but it's right handed. I find it OK, but would prefer something free floated.

PS: I'm not a huge fan of Tikka or Sako.

Thanks

there isnt a massive amount of lefthanded rifles out there. i am lefthanded but prefer a righthanded bolt action. i guess its becasue i have got use to it. but also when it comes to sell on i think there much easier to shift.

the h&s and blaser are top end rifles. your more then likely have a wait for the h&s also if you cant find one secondhand. if you have the money to spend on a h&s you could look at building yourself one. find a left handed action and have a nice custom barrel put on it in the profile you want to suite your stalking. and pick a nice stock of your choice.

just out of instance why you not a fan of sako and tiika ? both makes are proven accuracy and have a big fan base.

cooper arms are one to look at also. they make nice rifles and leftahanded ones. this guy off guntrader deals in lefthanded rifles. might be worth a shout

Mark Ingate - Mji Arms & Accessories -
    47 Quay Street, Halesworth, Suffolk. IP19 8EY
    Tel: 01986-874 064, Mobile: 07887-883 705
    Last edited by jay 22; 30-01-2012 at 03:23.

HS precision, Blaser, Sauer, Heym, Sako, Zoli, Tikka, Remington, Ruger, Savage, Browning . You pays your money and takes your pick. Any will shoot straight enough to kill a deer. What anyone else thinks is irrevelent, it's your rifle.

Ok, I know this is not what you asked for as you don't like Sako - for some unknown reason. Anyway, here is a realively tasty Sako LH in 270 - spotted this yesterday when I was looking for something else - for under 400, you won't buy a better rifle for double that money:

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/111201202503006

Edited to say, if budget is not a concern, go with the Blaser, particularly if you plan to travel with the rifle in the future.
    Last edited by Claret_Dabbler; 30-01-2012 at 08:20.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Thanks for the replies. Although I'm sure that Sako would be a good buy, it doesn't really appeal to me. I'm now considering a Blaser R93 in 7mm-08. Ammo is not very abundant for that calibre over here, but I'm told they're a dream to shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrion View Post
    I'm in the market for a proper left handed rifle. I want it primarily for stalking. Probably looking at a 308, but that's not set in stone.

Price isn't too much of a concern. If I can stay away from the top end, all the better, as I won't use it as much as some would.

So far I'm considering: Remington 700 CDL, Savage 11 or 16, Ruger Scout or M77, Blaser, HS precision, Winchester model 70 (I don't think they make these anymore)

Any opinions on what would be best to go for, or first hand experience would be great. At the moment I have a stainless synthetic Remington 700, but it's right handed. I find it OK, but would prefer something free floated.

PS: I'm not a huge fan of Tikka or Sako.

Thanks
    I'm left handed but find it much easier to use a right handed bolt especially in the prone position,also I just can't warrant the extra money they want for a lefty which is usually quite a bit more in price as well as rocking horse **** to

The problem with me is my eyes, rather than my hands. I'm significantly left eye dominant and it is very awkward for me to look through a scope with my right eye. I have to shoot my shotgun, semi auto rifle and lever action all left handed, but the bolt action I find too awkward to shoot left handed and work a right handed bolt. It's a real PITA to find the right setup!

The problem with me is my eyes, rather than my hands. I'm significantly left eye dominant and it is very awkward for me to look through a scope with my right eye. I have to shoot my shotgun, semi auto rifle and lever action all left handed, but the bolt action I find too awkward to shoot left handed and work a right handed bolt. It's a real PITA to find the right setup!
    Yep I'm left eye dominant also but right handed lol all my shotguns are straight or left hand cast plus my semi,s have left side ejection which is a must for me

... I'm now considering a Blaser R93 in 7mm-08. Ammo is not very abundant for that calibre over here, but I'm told they're a dream to shoot.
    An excellent solution. If ammo is a struggle, it is easily made....
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

Hi
    Simon at Reeves which is located at the Royal Berks Shooting School, near Pangbourne in Berkshire has the most beautiful left handed Heym SR21 in the superb 7x57mm.
    Though the rifle is second hand it is in totally brand new Mint condition and well priced at 1100, which is not bad for a rifle of this condition and superb quality. I think it also comes with scope rings. Give Simon a call on
    01491 671648.
    I think the Heym may also be listed on Guntrader.