Ripped of by land owner

woodfordfallow

I would like to warn shooters that some land owners are cashing on shooting. A very good friend of mine has been helping a farmer and shot loads of rabbits to save his corn. Then caught all his moles to save the damage to his silage.
The Farmer said that the guy that used to have the shooting has not been for over a year. So if he keeped the vermin under control he can have the deer stalkng and the bird shooting on his own. One day he had seen pigeons on the corn so called the farmer to say i will be shooting them tomorrow.Well the farmer says there is some boys coming saturday to shoot them. He now finds that this farmer gets work done by plumers, sparkies. carpenters all come do some work for the shooting then find out someone else is also shooting there. I now get the shooting rights signed up so we know where we stand. The barter system is ok but be warned .
:fib:
Please let us know if you have any stories about land owners taking us for a ride.
regards Brian

Last edited:
Brian can you do me a favour, can you change the font colour to black for me,I need new glasses and find it differcult to read

thanks

This is nothing new, plenty farmers take the **** really. Even if you have shot for a good while on a farm, this does not mean the farmer will say no, if he thinks he can score somit from a deal then your "right" to shoot will go out the window.

Brian, the way you get the to sign up is a bloody good idea, but what does happen if they let others in? how far can you go? There is always someone wanting to jump in your grave, all you have to do is mention stalking and everyone wants to know! With my patch im pretty safe as one my dad owns, and the other there will never be another allowed no matter how much money was offered!
Also a lot of the smaller farms now a days every penny/bit of help counts when times are hard, also they find it hard to say no if its a freind/realtion, i know my dad still does it!

they generally want something for nothing,i lost 500 acres i shot for over 2 years because i shot a buck one evening and somebody must have seen me and rang the farm,little did i know the farmer didnt tell his wife i was thinning them down,he also didnt tell her he was having some of the carcase money,she told me not to come again,i was absalutely gutted,was kicked off feeling like a poacher,nearly sold all my gear it upset me so much,they are a funny breed any many cant be trusted,they are not all bad,do shoot for some nice ones.beware atb swarovski

Last edited:
If we have a farmer bashing post can we also have a post for folk who have let folk on their land only to have gates left open, buildings perforated, livestock scared, cases chucked in hedges, s**t unburied, etc. There are p**cks on both sides of the land owner/ permission seeking fence.

+1 The farmer owns the land. The rabbts are your sport. Way you say it is free. The farmer has a cost to bare. Without payment you assist him and so does the others. You want to be careful. If I was a local farmer and read that I would be glad my name was not Brian.Why slag the farmer for using vermin to cut costs? Jim

If we have a farmer bashing post can we also have a post for folk who have let folk on their land only to have gates left open, buildings perforated, livestock scared, cases chucked in hedges, s**t unburied, etc. There are p**cks on both sides of the land owner/ permission seeking fence.

We are not talking about some shooters that dont respect the farmer .This guy has never been asked to leave a farm infact the farmer rang him and asked him to come and catch more moles for him. I look after my farmer's always call in and see them. drop off venison when i shoot some deer. I only shoot on farm's that i have the full permission and make sure i look after them . They don't let anyone in but if they do i am out of it no messing. I have tens of thousands of acres to shoot over.I also have a syndicate and i have to watch them carefully also. You can lose your good name by a friend messing it up.
Most farmer's want a good job done to save them money. You do it for your sport so don't mess it up both sides
regards Brian

+1 The farmer owns the land. The rabbts are your sport. Way you say it is free. The farmer has a cost to bare. Without payment you assist him and so does the others. You want to be careful. If I was a local farmer and read that I would be glad my name was not Brian.Why slag the farmer for using vermin to cut costs? Jim
Hi there farmer's pay me to shoot rabbits and have for 10 years i am that good .I get asked to come shoot on their farms. They are very impressed by the job and often drive me around you got the wrong guy. Last year i got a farm that had not been shot on for over two years. With a reference from my farmer next door rent free and i have shot 12 deer on it so far. Last week he said you're going to walk a long way out tonight why not take my gator .He will also be happy when i take his sausages around. So i wont be to worried about my name. For all the farmer's on this site yes its Brian from St Austell with the Toyota. Thats been looking after you for years. I hope your still happy .I know some of you have been good friends for over thirty years.

Brian, the way you get the to sign up is a bloody good idea, but what does happen if they let others in? how far can you go? There is always someone wanting to jump in your grave, all you have to do is mention stalking and everyone wants to know! With my patch im pretty safe as one my dad owns, and the other there will never be another allowed no matter how much money was offered!
Also a lot of the smaller farms now a days every penny/bit of help counts when times are hard, also they find it hard to say no if its a freind/realtion, i know my dad still does it!
HI mate before you take on the land get facts ask what you can a cannot do .What you can shoot ,Do you have all the shooting or not .any special rules. ask if anyone shoots the land.
If your not sure about anything ask .don't do anything that will upset the farmer . dont leave a mess .don't drive on the land when it's to wet and damage the field. If you take friends check that its ok with him and they are your biggest risk.
Remember they are the Boss and you can get the sack at any time.

Just been reading this post. "Landowners taking us for a ride" "Farmers taking the ****" I don't think so.
I think what you must take into consideration is that all forms of shooting have become an asset. Not knocking YRS but here we have an example of people willing to pay to be taken out squirrel shooting. Why should a landowner not "Cash in" on his/her asset? Why should shooters not pay for the priviledge of shooting on ground? I totally agree that having a major respect for a farmers property and business goes a long way in a good relationship but it does not pay his bills. If you are being paid to shoot rabbits as you claim and get taken about by the landowner be careful somebody will pay him money to do just as good a job as you without the cost of his diesel.
You get a bit of ground for free, shoot 12 deer, no doubt selling the carcasses and you think the farmer will be very happy with "his sausages". Whose being taken for a ride here??

The bit of ground for free shot 12 deer. Has had lots and lots of stalkers after it for two years some very good one's
and friends of mine.You could see the deer from the road.But it has lot of public foot paths and is difficult to shoot.
But deer were causing alot of damage. The farmer also liked the deer. So he was not interested in money.But the right person .I don't collect trophy's that was a good point.The n/trust park warden recomended me as he had not found any dead deer off my shooting land next door.The farmer next door who is also a farm contractor has lots of vermin trouble inc pigeons at times.He recomended me .Before i done his shooting he had lots of shooters but offered to pay me and has been happy for over thirty years .He has had many people asking to shoot on the land he has contracted. He tells them to call me .
I could go on all night but you have it in your own head that i take the p .When fact is i have more shooting than i want .
If you read the post it was a friend that did the mole work thinking he had the shooting and spent more than enough time getting it and felt let down.Go ask how much it costs to catch 50 moles

I had the same! used to have a lovely little patch lots of Roe some really cracking bucks and the place was crawling with Muntjac too! Really nice place, in the heart of the Cotswolds :)
Farmer asked me to cull six bucks, split half n half. i culled 7 with his permission, 3 for me 3 for him and 1 for the the beaters party :)
a syndicate shoot had always been there, and with the new start of a Gamekeeper started all the trouble too! i was no longer to liase with the farmer but the gamekeeper, so i did my bit ringing before stalking ring when leaving the ground. he always asked where i seen Deer, so of course i told him I put up salt licks i put two of my own self built high seats, had to shoot keepers foxes too. was going nicely got my yearling buck cull done even invited keeper out to take a middle aged buck, (thought i'd keep him sweet) he declined with usual too busy saga even thought the birds werent anywhere to been yet.
So just by chance i bumped into the farmer one day coming back past his dairy yard.
" We wont be needing you anymore, my gamekeeper is happy to take things over now, he has got his F.A.C now and a rifle thank you for your time and help"
and that was it i drove home very P***** off! and some what speechless. So now that backstabbing keeper has my stalking! where was his rifle and f.a.c when i was shooting all the foxes for him! oh and to add rub more salt in the wound both my high seats are still there probably with his useless fat a** sat on them and Farmer wont answer the phone, going to be a cold call coming up soon i think and some answers demanded!

I am amazed are some of you saying that landowners have the right to chose who shoots on there land, I cannot believe that a full time keeper would want to know when someone is in the woods or decide with his employer to shoot the deer as part of his job, next they will be telling the guns what the shoot dates are.:evil:

Is this thread real?

I mean, you shoot some pigeons and rabbits for a farmer and god forbid he let's some one else have a go at shooting a few pigeons?!?

Get a grip and stop being so possesive over shooting. There are far to many out there that shoot who are far to over protective of ground they shoot on. If you do a good job and help out surely you have nothing to fear. I share all my shooting ground with others. In some places I'm top dog in others I have to phone in and check if it's OK but I don't mind, why you may ask?? Well its free!

Is this thread real?

I mean, you shoot some pigeons and rabbits for a farmer and god forbid he let's some one else have a go at shooting a few pigeons?!?

Get a grip and stop being so possesive over shooting. There are far to many out there that shoot who are far to over protective of ground they shoot on. If you do a good job and help out surely you have nothing to fear. I share all my shooting ground with others. In some places I'm top dog in others I have to phone in and check if it's OK but I don't mind, why you may ask?? Well its free!
Difficult to keep to a sensible cull plan with this scenario.

Back